Saturday, January 03, 2009

Nights on Broadway

Pretty much all evidence of Christmas had been removed by the evening of 25 December. All the shops would have been shut by then anyway and, certainly in midtown Manhattan, for all the restaurants, bars, theatres and fast food joints, it was business as usual. And there was I, hotfooting my way up to 52nd Street for my first ever show on Broadway – Hairspray, starring my long-time idol, Harvey Fierstein.

I was in a state of some excitement but, I must admit, for the first ten minutes or so I was a little nonplussed with my theatrical experience. As this was BROADWAY I was expecting a really elaborate theatre and great service with people ready to cater to my every whim. So when I walked through the door and was frog-marched *immediately* to my seat with a brisk “that seat there, no photographs”, I was a little bit taken aback. Where was the nice programme seller ... and what of my pre-show drinkie?!

I got up to explore and eventually found a Mr Pinkies stall selling tshirts and, down the stairs, ah sweet salvation ... a small bar. En route I had noticed a few children clutching Hairspray drinking glasses with blue lids and a straw, I was suffering from severe drink vessel envy. I was delighted to find them lined up on the bar top. “Could I have a double Jack Daniels and coke...”, I requested and, brandishing the coveted plastic item, “IN ONE OF THESE?!” Well, so what, I’m English, we’re allowed to be eccentric and, now stocked with alcohol and proudly clutching my sacred chalice, I was ready and willing to take my seat.

The show was a colourful and entertaining spectacle, although the £85 price tag was niggling me slightly. From my fabulous fifth row seat I had a great view of Harvey, who got a loud cheer when he appeared on stage and was very much the crowd’s favourite. I can’t think of anyone who could make a better substitute for Divine and he played the role with the just the right amount of cheerful bitterness and eye-rolling. That growling, gravelly voice suited the character perfectly, not least when taking phone calls from Tracy’s admirers, “Yes, this is Tracy Turnblad’s residence ... no, I’m not her FATHER” (cut to black).

As in the film I kind of preferred it at the beginning when Edna Turnblad is in a housecoat and slippers, before the Mr Pinkie’s Hefty Hideaway glamour makeover. Though Harvey looked amazing both in a red satin with white fur trim, slightly Father Christmas-sy number, and also this mesmerising mother-and-daughter ensemble.

From my close vantage point I was amused to note that most of the teenage characters were played by actors who were at least in their 30s, including Marissa Jaret Winokur as Tracy. Besides Harvey, my other favourite was Susan Mosher as Penny Pingleton’s mom / the gym teacher / prison warden. She played each of the characters with the same borderline hysteria and stood head and shoulders above the head of the cast. I think it could only have been improved for me by having Queen Latifah, who appears in the film version of the musical, as Mouthmouth Maybelle. She kind of makes me feel a bit funny down there.

The show quite rightly ended with a standing ovation and, on leaving the theatre, I decided to end the day with a peek at one of my other favourite New York locations – Times Square. So here, for your delectation, is Times Square on Christmas evening – no snow, but plenty of tourists!

1 comment:

Owen said...

I *like* the chalice. I hope it has pride of place in Nasty Mansions.