Do the Fat Girl Conga
Can you believe Yo! Suzi is being sued by Yo! Sushi? Something to do with crimes against branding. What kind of a world do we live in when a gentleman and lady can't open a nightclub named after a food bar without fear of a trip to the big 'ouse? I think they should re-name it Fish Sticks.
Last night was the best at the club yet. After a disappointing trip last time with the band that went waaggghhh, this week's Kings Have Long Arms were a touch of near genius, they could start a party in an empty room.
Basically a one man show, frontman Adrian Flanagan has elements of Mike Skinner and Jarvis Cocker, but with a wit and instantly likeable character that's uniquely his own. A large man in a flasher's mac and silly hat, on stage he surrounds himself with a disparate ensemble of loons - a super hero character in lycra and a mask, a man dressed in silver with a furry dog's head necklace, and an adorable cutey with a hanky on his head.
The music is stripped down 80's electro with an Elvis rock n roll vibe. What's difficult to describe is the ENERGY. When not shaking their stuff on the stage, the band made frequent trips into the crowd to give hugs, hand shakes and promote silly dancing. At the end of the act, if you can imagine, I found myself 3 back in the conga - an event I approached with far too much enthusiasm and nearly had a need for a stretcher, particularly when we got to the finale time can-can!
After the briefest recovery I caught up with David Hoyle who's here doing media for his forthcoming show. Then there was dancing to be done with him, Paul, Gerald and Stephen. Was appalled to find the extra 10lbs I've put on this year made it hard to do jumpy-up-and- down dances like I used to at Rocktronica, I guess that's why I switched from punk to disco. Shame I was too hung over to make the gym today.

3 comments:
WOOO-HOOOO! very nice!
"Dawn Right Nasty" has to be, by far, the best psuedonymn ever.
EVER!!
B-o
-------
I fucking LOVE a conga.
Ha-ha ... you were willing that conga to start, 3 seconds in and you were in there ... congas are the new rock'n'roll!!!
G.
Post a Comment