Rude Pop Stars and Cute Queens
Oh lord, the first part of this week seems to have disappeared in an alcoholic blur. Eight hours of slow but steady drinking at my Tranny Hag launch party on Sunday (a great success, thanks for asking) led into a reunion drink with Justin on Monday and then a storming night of Halloween merriment last night.
As you know, I'm quite partial to a bit of all hallow's dressing up, and this year Justin and I hatched a plan to go as twin Joan Dairy Queens. Sadly I couldn't be arsed shopping for a wig yesterday so shelved that plan (to cries of "lame ass" and "killjoy") but chanced upon the darlingest mask and was soon striding forth as the devil.
My party of choice was the Scissor Sisters gig at Brixton. Met Kevin first at a nearby pub and my costume was well received by the locals. It was when we went to enter the venue that the real beauty of the disguise was revealed - I got through the doors without being searched as no one could figure out what sex I was. They have this stupid "ladies one side, gents the other" security policy and they just kept directing me from one side to the other, so in the end I just walked through. I thought I'd chance my arm by marching into the gents toilet - straight through the door and into the cubicle and nobody batted an eyelid. Result! No queueing for the women's with the twittering girls.
Spotted Justin near the front in his Joan wig and dress and was delighted he was joined by some cool San Franciscan queens I met the night before - Faux Pas from Trannyshack and Malakai. Spend the gig grooving with them while all around us glitter scepters where being pointed into the air.
I can't be bothered trying to describe the gig, you can find a review here if you want one. In my current "bored of live music" state I was kind of apathetic, but I didn't let that stop me going to the aftershow. I thought it might be a bit glamorous but when we sashayed into the upstairs room it seemed that half the audience was there. There wasn't even a free bar. Stood chatting with Sammy and Justin then ooh look, here comes Ana Matronic. She stopped to say hi to Justin and he was kind enough to introduce us: "Ana, have you met my friend Dawn, she writes this magazine called Tranny Hag..." I steeled myself, desperately wondering that I would say when her eyes fell upon me. I needed have worried. Her face formed a not-even-pretend-smile as she muttered "that's nice" and disappeared. Delightful.
The highlight of this part of the evening turned out to be Mick Jones. When we got to the Academy Kevin was talking about how the first band he ever saw there was The Clash, so knock us down with a feather to find Mick sat there. I stayed in the background as the two had a chat, then he stopped by later to say goodbye.
About 1am Sammy and Justin decided on a trip to the Ghetto so I thought I might as well go along for the ride. Also in our cab was Paul Dawson from Short Bus - the one who sucked his own cock. I told him I enjoyed the film but didn't mention his acrobatics, it didn't really seem polite.
When we got to the club it was heaving, a surprise for a Tuesday night. The music was cool but the clientelle were pretty drug fucked so I only stayed til our free drinks tickets ran out. Spent much time gazing at a breathtaking queen named Karis (see pic) who was in the Filthy Gorgeous video and whose face is the epitome of beauty. If that wasn't enough for my awe-inspired eyes, I also ran into Suppositori Spelling who sadly is soon leaving town. I was hoping to make Trannyshack tonight to say goodbye, but don't think my liver could take it. And tomorrow the day job calls ...

1 comment:
Dawn - that Ana Matronic story made me choke on my peanut butter sandwich. I *love* stories where fans get let down by their heroes!
Post a Comment