Tits
I've been thinking about basques and bodices today. Actually, it's not a new thing, I do tend the think about them A LOT. I was reading a review of a new lesbian anthology that said it's now a pre-requisite for any lesbian book to have a woman in a basque on the cover. This is thanks to Sarah Water's Tipping the Velvet.
While that may be true, all I know is my sexuality was formed watching old Hammer Horror films in the '70s. There would always be some voluptuous maiden with her breasts hoinked up and her cleavage spilling out the top of her clothes - it was frighteningly alluring.
In the best plots there would be two couples, something bad would happen and the men would go off to find help. This would leave the two women clinging together, bosoms heaving, looking all vulnerable and tender and afraid. After a while one would ask, "Do you think we should go and find the boys?" "NO", would be the firm reply, as her companion pulled her in tighter.
I particularly remember Vampires Lovers, the lesbian horror movie with Ingrid Pitt as Carmilla, sharpening her teeth on the pure white breasts of the town's virgins. There were plunging necklines a-plenty and Madeleine Smith and Ingrid would chase each other round the bedroom with their tops off. It had quite an effect an my fragile 15-year-old mind.
Annoyingly I remember my dad was in the room when I watched it and I had to cover the side of my face with a cushion. I didn't want him to see me as I stared, hypnotised and sweating, at the screen. Years later I watched it again and was amazed that I could remember most off the dialogue, I had obviously been totally transfixed.
The Tipping the Velvet thing doesn't work for me cos there's not enough damsel in distress. It must be my male side seeking dominance, I want to pull a terrified lady from the jaws of death and clasp her to my soft, strong bosom ... then subtly sink my teeth into hers.

No comments:
Post a Comment