Love Affair
I’ve always maintained that if you want a job doing, do it your bleedin’ self.
Today the Hercules and Love Affair album was released. Did the poxy WH Smith in Woolwich have a copy? Did they buffalo. Had the HMV website even so much as *processed* the order I diligently placed some seven days ahead of the scheduled release? Had they bum fluff. (I used to run the HMV fulfilment centre and it ran like *clockwork* then I can tell you, but I digress ...)
There was nothing for it but to take matters into my own hands and set about downloading a copy from this new-fangled internet lark.
A few clicks and a card transaction later, Antony and his chums were winging their way to my lovely, expensive, shiny blue lap top.
At this point, I admit, I faltered slightly. To my complete shame, the only thing I had to burn them to was a 5-for-99p Woolworths “Worth It” blank CD. Oh the humanity ... that I should have subjected them to this.
But, oh, what joy my ears are beholding. The last time I fell this instantly in love was the first Scissor Sisters album back in ... whatever year it was, I’ve never been good with years. There’s funky bass lines, jiggy riffs and BEAUTIFUL, relaxed vocals that draw you in, wash over you and can even make this stone heart cry.
Though it was the deity, Antony, that drew me to this project, I actually prefer some of the tracks that he doesn’t sing on. Notably track 3 You Belong sung by Nomi, that sounds like Jesus Loves You-era Boy George. It also has a haunting, slightly sinister air that reminds me of the "one of us" refrain from Todd Browning's Freaks.
My other favourite is not-on-the-album-but-on-the-single Shadows, with the utterly cute voice of Kim Ann Foxman. She shares the slightly brattish quality of Max from some of Tricky’s albums.
I made sure I downloaded the disc from 7 Digital to make sure I got a PDF of the CD booklet that they don’t have on pooey I-Tunes. If I don’t have a “proper” copy of the disc, now at least I can turn it into a craft project. No less than 12 pages of artwork tumbled onto my desktop so I am hard at work matching them up to print off (with colours brightened, I can’t help myself – I HATE pastels) into a properly ordered, double sided brochure that I can trim, score, fold and lovingly staple ... I’m only sorry I don’t own a saddle-stitching machine.
Honestly, this downloading might not be as convenient as they try to make you believe, but it certainly keeps you busy.
And did I mention that I have tickets to see the band at Soho Review Bar in June? Well I do, so there!

2 comments:
I'm just listening to the single 'Time Will' that's a free download on iTunes this week as 'free single of the week'
I don't do illegal downloading.
that could be the track of the summer
Post a Comment