Monkey See, Monkey Do
I had a bit of a sulk on in July because I failed to score tickets for Monkey: Journey to the West at the Royal Opera House. I’m kind of glad I didn’t now though cos it’s coming back, and even though it’s going to be at the smelly old O2 they are building a special Monkey World theatre tent to stage it. Designed by the Monkey team, it will have its own bar and restaurant and even a Chinese foot massage parlour. I am literally cock-a-hoop with excitement.
Monkey, is case you’ve been, like, living under a stone, is the opera creation of Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett, the people behind Gorillaz. I was never a fan of Blur but Gorillaz are GENIUS, especially the second album which is a work of sheer beauty. Dirty Harry - YOW!! In fact, anything that can make me happy to listen to a choir of children is beyond genuis, it's achieving the unthinkable! But anyway, back to the opera ...
It’s based on a 16th century Chinese fable about spiritual change and growth.
“In a mythical time, on the Mountain of Flower and Fruit, Monkey was hatched from a stone egg. So begins the tale of the Monkey King, our headstrong, self-important hero. After crossing the all-powerful Buddha, Monkey is given the opportunity to redeem himself by travelling to India with the young monk Tripitaka to bring the Holy Scriptures back to China.”
The performance features 40 Chinese acrobats and is like an enormous circus with aerialists, dancers, singers, amazing costumes, video and animation.
Just look at all the fabulous things that happen!
I’ll be all eyes-agog and jaws wide open and COOOO.
To delight myself even further I think I’m going to travel there on a Thames Clipper ship. I just don’t know when to stop myself, do I?!

1 comment:
Hello from a fellow Duckieite!
You're going to love Monkey. We were lucky enough to get tickets for one of the Opera House shows but I suspect it'd be even better in a setting designed for it.
Plotwise, it's all over the place and I found it's best to just relax and go with it rather than expecting it to make a great deal of sense. The guy playing Monkey is excellent - all simian tics and crotch-grabbing - and he comes across as an endearing little thug.
I'm a Gorillaz fan and I loved the animation in particular but also the music, which is very "other" but somehow also just familiar enough. Look out for the Heavenly Peach Banquet, with its echoes of the "la la la la la" bit from Minnie Ripperton's Loving You... :)
I'd love to go again and am quite jealous of you!
Post a Comment