Life is Sweet
I’m reading a book about depression at the moment. It’s not doing a bit of good because it focuses almost exclusively on self-loathing and low self-esteem. As you know, I suffer from neither of these conditions - my frustration with life is born exclusively from my detestation of other people. Not all of them, you understand, just most of them – the slack jawed, knuckle-dragging, sniggering masses and their abominable offspring. Why waste time hating yourself when there are manifold examples of human vileness out there in which to indulge your loathing? Question is, how the hell do you avoid the bastards?
I have been seeking refuge more than ever in alcohol lately, but I can feel my internal organs eroding so I’ve decided to give it up. It’s been five whole days and I’m actually rather enjoying it. Although I might have a small glass of Sauvignon Blanc later as it’s Saturday. There’s a lot more clarity in life when you’re sober, and so many more hours to fill in the day. This is healthy but at the same time not necessarily a good thing – sometimes the thick, heavy cloak of a hangover can act as a safety buffer against, for example, the mind-numbing monotony of a day job.
The answer, I have been assured, is to stay busy – hoover the floor, fold up the washing, go for a bike ride in the park. All well and good, but in a sentiment echoed by David Hoyle at one of his shows recently, life can often feel like just a series of displacement activities until you die.
Today, however, I pushed displacement aside and took myself off to the Saatchi Gallery to look at their American Abstracts exhibition. I like the Saatchi Gallery, it’s a little bit posh and shows some interesting and inspiring works by lesser known artists. Best of all is that it’s free! In the current exhibition I particularly liked this piece by Francesca DiMattio called Tunnel (click on the image to see it properly and get more info).
It’s a huge six panel piece that is quite reminiscent of MC Escher, whose work I can look at for hours. I was particularly drawn to the little dark doorway on the left hand side that looks like it could lead to a secret room where something decadent or a little bit seedy is happening.
I also enjoyed a group of three figurines by Ryan Johnson called Watchman. These characters are meant to represent, “the ever-lurking ghostly observer, lonesome figure of security and surveillance.” That introduction alone is enough to give me chills of empathy and excitement. One of the figures had an enormous plaster cast on his leg with slogans and messages written all over. As I walked round the back, in thick black marker pen, it said, “PEOPLE = SHIT” – I could barely contain my amusement.
It’s clearly been just what the doctor ordered because look – I’m writing something again for the first time in ages! Now I’m going to watch Milk on DVD on my new widescreen, HD-ready telly and tomorrow I’m off to La Clique. No more moaning I promise ... and who needs alcohol?

No comments:
Post a Comment