Talking 'bout a Revolution
It’s the candle lit vigil against hate crime at Trafalgar Square tonight. I’ve thought about it long and hard but I’m not going, does that make me a bad gay?
I’m glad it’s happening and don’t get me wrong I AM NOT ATTACKING THE ORGANISERS, but there are just things about this event that don’t gel for me.
A group of people holding a vigil in memory of their friend, Ian Baynham, who was violently murdered in the Square a few weeks ago, that makes perfect sense and I have the utmost respect for it. But do we really think this action is going to challenge hate crime?
Come to think of it, why isn’t it to challenge HOMOPHOBIC crime? Homophobic attacks are on the increase but we still have to be limp-wristed and inclusive and campaign for ALL HATE CRIME. Why can’t we just stand our own ground for once?
Why can we not LET THEM KNOW WE’RE ANGRY? If there’s going to be a full-scale, organised event to challenge homophobic and/or hate crime, I’d rather march through the streets and have my voice heard – you know, an old-fashioned demonstration like they used to have. Back when Gay Pride was Gay Pride and not LONDON Pride. Back when Gay Pride was to challenge homophobia … but they tell us we don’t need to do that anymore don't they? It’s a thing of the past. Is that why we’re getting our heads in?
It’s all so passive, why are we waving candles when we could be kicking chavs? Queer gangs should be running amok around council estates intimidating people. Instead we have '2 minutes silence at 9pm' hmmm … the homophobes must be shitting themselves.
So while I support the people who will be attending the vigil, I will be sitting at home and silently seething with fury. I do my bit for gay rights walking round with a boyish haircut, flat shoes and a bag saying Pussy Faggot. Queer visibility all day every day, not a token gesture.

1 comment:
Didn't even make the BBC London news....
Post a Comment