Thursday, March 15, 2007

Behind a Painted Smile

I don't usually like to put video clips on here, but there's an "in production" documentary about the SF drag scene I've been aware of for a while, and this trailer is making me breathless with excitement. I simply cannot WAIT to see it.

The clip is a load of the SF girls talking about why they do drag and what it means to them. Look out for a breathtakingly beautiful snippet of my hero, Kiddie, being a little bit pithy about the straights (chuckle) ...



During a conversation with Jason at RVT the other week he was asking me to explain my infatuation with drag queens, I've been trying to formulate a full answer since as I kind of stumbled with my response.

The biggest issue is the breaking down and inverting of traditional gender roles, which are like an albatross around my neck. But then if it were just as simple as that I'd have an equal love for drag kings, and I don't find them nearly as fascinating.

I think drag queens pretty much sum up my gender confusion, I’m drawn to feminine beauty but male energy, and with drag queens you get it all. Drag kings can mimic the energy but they don't have the required element of GLAMOUR. I like to be surrounded by pretty things.

I also enjoy the fact that drag allows some of my friends to express themselves in a way their male persona doesn't. It's like getting two friends for the price of one. Heklina talks in the clip about how drag, for her, is like putting on armour. While some of my friends - Justin Bond, David Hoyle - are as loud and ebullient no matter how they’re dressed, there are others – Timberlina, Joan Dairy Queen – who become livelier and much more outwardly confident beings once they have the drag on, and I love that dual personality aspect.

It’s like it’s a way to draw a line from the real world and retreat away from it for a while. There’s no time to sit around complaining about your day job when you’ve got the drag on, and I need escapism as much as any queen.

It’s about the “do what you want and don’t give a shit” attitude, but without the snotty petulance that comes with that in the straight world. Do what you want but do it with humour, don’t give a shit but be creative.

Laugh at yourself, laugh at the world and do it all while you’re looking FABULOUS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this documentary and it is really fabulous. Aisha Media Dominar, Amir Jaffer, let's the drag queens of his documentary, DRAG: A San Francisco Story, speak for themselves while providing an organizational context for viewing the diverse personalities and venues they represent.

Mikal Amun Min

Anonymous said...

When is it going to be shown here? It looks fantastic! Lets go and pick a new drag queen to stalk!

Anonymous said...

Drag will have a San Francisco Premier in June/July 2007. For up-to-date information about Drag, please check www.myspace.com/dragmovie
Thanks
AJ