Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mister Sister is born

Well, if you know me and unless your name is on this list:

Toby Ray
Chris Voisey
Owen McConnell
Posh Paul
Sockmonkey
Gareth Wyn
Nathan Evans
Timberlina
John, Alex & Lloyd

… then you can just about fuck off for not coming out for the launch of my new club night on Friday evening.

Mister Sister, brainchild of myself and Christian Landon, burst into life at 9pm and fulfilled my dream of launching a club with happy, dance-based music and drag queens performing at midnight.

If you came along, ILOVE YOU, if you didn't it’s your own stupid fault. You didn’t see Blanche Dubois’ amazing opera and striptease based around the Mexican Day of the Dead, and you’re even more dumb for missing an outstanding performance from Jonny Woo in his long black dress and Mickey Mouse hands. I mean, what the hell were you thinking?!

Jonny’s closing track, Woman of Mass Destruction, was awe inspiring, and you could have yelled “fat hands” at him when he was talking about being a transvestite. But no, you sat at home didn’t you? Watching TV and moaning about being “tired.” How I despise you.

So yes, it went well, thanks for asking. We got a good crowd of people in and no cunts. This has been a problem of late at the Tavern but Mister Sister people are cool and groovy and stayed dancing till the small hours. Christian did a great job with the flyers and our guest DJs – KrotKrot and Gang (where *do* they get these names from) - were fantastic. So it’s your loss and not ours.

We also got great feedback from the venue so our return is guaranteed. The next night is 21 September, I can’t tell you the line up yet cos it’s a secret. Or, um, perhaps we haven’t actually booked anyone yet, but it will be absolutely FANTASTIC. So get a marker and write it on your wall planner NOW. You've got a month to work on your outfit - see you there.

*START RANT*

You might think I’ve been a bit tetchy already but know what’s really annoying me? The ghost of Lippy. This will mean nothing to some of you so I’ll explain - Lippy was a Friday club at RVT run by some friends of mine. I spent many happy nights there but it sadly didn’t get enough punters so it was pulled.

There’s an element of people who consider this a travesty and stand with hand-on-hip and screwed up faces like Miss Taffy – “oh, I’m not going to the Tavern anymore after what happened to Lippy”. Oh THANK YOU for your support. So now if I fail too all will be well with the world? Guess what? LIFE ISN’T FAIR, so while you’re stood with your bitter claws wrapped round a pint at the Retro and your pursed lips tutting about the injustice of it all, think about how the world is moving on without you. And how much you’re being manipulated.

*END OF RANT*

7 comments:

Owen said...

I thought it was all very nice, thank you very much. No SLADE, of course. I was also referred to as a 'glitter bear' (which I took as a compliment) so watch out at Christmas when I do my best Dave Hill impression and sprinkle glitter and blessings amongst the multitude.

Well done! And I lurved the lashes!

chrisv said...

*checks list, checks passport*
Phew

Whoever that rant was pointed to could you name them in an anagram stylee?

Gareth said...

I decided I was going to be a Fey Boy.



It was an enjoyable night, and I will try and make it to the next one too.

Anonymous said...

Sock Monkey says:

Bleedin' good night Dawn. Well done. Felt like shite on Saturday but it was worth it.

Owen said...

Um, you forgot to mention that your fantastic lighting made everyone look gorgeous (I'm already gorje, of course, but some of the others needed it...).

Anonymous said...

Thank fuck I turned up. I wouldn' want to be on he receiving end of that rant!!!

Unknown said...

I take your point to an extent but I think some people went to Lippy because they liked that sort of music, a more rock and roll affair compared to Duckie, and if people are into that sort of music there's a good chance they're not in dance music (and possibly though not necessarily drag queens).

So it's not a case of this night or the one that came before it not being Lippy per se, but more the fact that it's a completely different night with completely different music and style and one that just isn't some people's cup of tea. No matter how well it's done, the target audience is a different one.

... besides, I had to be up for V Festival the next day - didn't want to miss The Proclaimers.