Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Radio is a Sound Salvation

I have just discovered the joys of DAB radio. It happened like this, I was bored off my bleedin head at the day job, wondering how on earth I could sit there till home time, when I spotted a colleague - head phones in, tuned to radio 4 and bearing a comparative aura of calm.

Hmm, I thought, I wonder if I could access Gaydar radio on my PC? To my complete and utter shock, I could, and I love it! Not only does it provide a soundscape of endless dance beats, but their news slots are much better than the straight ones – they’re all about gays in the military and what the Spice Girls will be doing on tour. The *real* issues!

Of course, using the piss poor work systems to channel Armand Van Helden and Fedde Le Grand could constitute a sackable offence, so it was off down to Argos for my very own DAB. For some reason most of the free standing ones are remarkably ugly, so I settled on a nice personal one made by Wharfedale - white with a blue neon screen.

The fantastic thing is that when they’re playing a record, the artist and title appear on the screen, so you don’t have to wait till the end for the DJ to say who sang it and end up not hearing cos the phone rang.

So now I’m, like, OBSESSED with Gaydar and have started to stalk the presenters. I was listening to Gary H tonight who does these fantastic mixes. I emailed him to ask if he put them on so he could bugger off for a while but apparently, no, he doesn’t. So while my dear friend Mistress Voisey was having his email read out on Newsnight, I was having my drunken ramblings aired on Gaydar Radio. Which one of us comes out on top?

Oh really? Yeah, you think so? Well, whatever, I never said I was an interlecktual, did I? So screw ya ... *pouts and storms off*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

y'know, when I was dating Greek boy last year, I used to get the choice of Classic FM or Gaydar Radio in the morning. Some choice, huh? But, actually, no choice at all. The Irn Bru of Gaydar won over the margarine of Classic FM everytime. Reminds me of listening to Kiss FM in the early 90s when Craig Charles & Graham Norton used to be on the breakfast show. Strangely essential listening.