Lauren - Round Two
David Hoyle and Lauren Harries sharing the same stage was never going to be pretty.
After last year’s appearance when Lauren was drunk and abusive, David invited her back to take the stage sober and set the record straight. It still turned into a punch-up within minutes.
The beginning was peaceful enough, Lauren prattling on about her first-class train journey and expressing her horror when she saw You Tube clips of her previous appearance. The shit hit the fan when she criticised last week’s performer, who she had also seen on You Tube, a nice young man called Poota who wee weed and defecated on the stage.
David suddenly turned nasty and a barrage of insults was exchanged. At some point it calmed down a bit and Lauren started talking about transsexuals on television (she is working on a new show) and in particular Hayley Cropper from Coronation Street. She is angry that the character is played by a biological woman and not a transsexual. An understandable view point, but she’s taken no time to research the subject and had no idea, as I pointed out to her, that the actress who plays the part is a spokesperson for Press for Change. Or that public support for the character was so strong that, in 1999, MPs called for full civil rights for transsexuals and a working party was formed to help deal with the issues they face on a daily basis.
For all the claims that she was a child genius, poor Lauren doesn’t really come across as too bright. Her favourite put down for David went along the lines of, “you should be a woman, you’re a transgender and you just don’t know it.” Clearly demonstrating that, as someone who has appointed herself as a spokesperson for the trans movement, she doesn’t actually know the difference between transsexual and transgender.
She was astonishingly impolite to Maggi Hambling, who she’s clearly never heard of, and her common response to anyone who challenged her was “you’ve got problems, you’ve got issues” , which, coming from someone who had taken the stage dressed like Heidi, was pretty blummin funny!
To be honest I have mixed feelings about David’s behaviour. To some degree he talked over her and was aggressive, but in doing so he gave her a chance to stand her ground and a lot of the crowd ended up on her side, including Wayne Shires who grabbed the microphone to defend her and tell David to stop being mean.
I quite like a good bit of confrontation and it was one of the most thought-provoking shows I have seen. I think my only disappointment is that Lauren’s mum, who was also in the building, didn’t appear on stage. That would have been a right old barney.
(Pics: Kate Pelling)
See more pics on A.M. Hanson's blogsite

16 comments:
For all the claims that she was a child genius, poor Lauren doesn’t really come across as too bright." I think that is blindingly obvious to anyone who's ever seen 'Little Lady Fauntleroy', isn't it...
Anyway, THANK YOU. Can't wait for the pics. Will Lauren be back - I may have to make the trip up to London if so. I love a good barney, me. Especially when it involves mad Welsh former child genuises.
Will Lauren be back?
From a phone conversation I had with David and the look on the mother's face as they marched out of the building, I suspect not!
I wish I had seen this show!!!
poo that I can't make Tuesdays.
I watched the show and I think Lauren looked fantastic.If you look ant vogue her clothes were just on the money as I am a fashion desighner I should know.Lauren was unbeleveable and to all the peolpe who missed it should see it on you tube
I Love Lauren Harries,to all the people who did not see the show they should put it on youtube .Transequals should be acting and much more.Instead of people petending to be transequals why dont they use the real thing like Lauren harries.If they had I am sure that lauren as a good spokes women would of done a better job.Put it on you tube and show that gorgeouse outfit.
This was the only issue of Magazine I wish I had been there to see, but I was otherwise engaged.
I watched the show Lauren & David Hoyle (Beauty and the Beast) I only went to watch Lauren and she was fantastic. Hoyle was the arcytype school bully (we've all met them or been victims of them. It appears that Hoyle is jealous of Lauren because she has had the guts to do what he could never do 'accept her true sexuality'Hoyle is a bully and a sexist pig, well done Lauren for proving that
What a fantastic show, thanks to Lauren; I can't imagine how that anyone would want to watch Hoyle again. He came over as a schoolyard bully. Is he really only 42 he looks 80. Lauren you were great, no-one accept you could have taken all that flack. but you won the match with Hoyle and you certainly had the aurdience in your hands. You are a true pro Lauren, after this you could handle any interview and you could certainly handle 'Big Brother' Comer on Endemol wake up Lauren will be great for the new C.B.B
David Hoyle had turned London into the North where prejudice is rife. Why doesn't he stay in the village in manchester, thats more his scene. He tried to turn the show with Lauren Harries into an attackon her. Well Hoyle I've watched Lauren on shows where she has been attacked by people like Frank Skinner Vanessa, and Joan Rivers. They attacked her because she was different, You did the same but like them you didn't win. You know why because Luraen is sincere, unlike you she doesn't put on an act. You can't win over sincerity Hoyle and unless you lose your Northern Chip leave the stage; We don' want you in London, try the Northern clubs they like to attack queers as you attacked Lauren Harries
POOR DAVID DEFEATED BY LAUREN; DAVID SHOULD STOP TAKING THE SPEED, COCAINE AND BOOZE IF HE WANTS TO KEEP IN THE FRAME, BUT EVEN THEN HE WILL NEVER HAVE THE CLASS THAT HARRIES SHOWED WHEN SHE WAS SINKING HER SIZE SIX BOOTS INTO HIM. KEEP ON GOING LAUREN WE NEED YOU. WISH YOU COULD COME BACK TO THE VAUXHALL BUT I DON'T THINK HOYLE COULD TAKE ANOTHE BEATING
You definitely stood your ground Lauren... well done!
I just think the man is a complete bully who uses people who he thinks he can intimidate to get cheap laughs - the sign of a very poor comedian.
Calls himself a pro... doesn't know the meaning!
I am putting the david hoyle show with Lauren harries on youtube in a few days.Just so David knows that hbe cant get way with his actions
Lauren is now on youtube talking with david,Judge for your selves?
Yes, and I have been edited out. Why?
I saw this just recenty on youtube and am neither a fan of Lauren or David. I have to say, the amount of TransPhobia from David Hoyle as well as the audience was disgusting. Taunting Lauren about not being a real woman etc constantly throughout, asking to see her 'fake' vagina etc. I am a GenderFluid person myself who wants to break down the genders but I would never ever ever taunt, belittle or bully a Transsexual who honestly felt the need for a sex-change. Lets not trample all over some other minorities rights' in the name of 'freedom'. What I witnessed from David and his Cronies in the audience was not freedom it was absolute Fascism at it's worse.
Sorry bit more to add.. Lauren's comments on Hayley in Corrie are spot on. No matter how much 'Hayley' has done for TransQueers etc it was clear Lauren did not mean it personally. When women were not allowed on stage, men used to dress up as women (still remnants of this at Panto season) and this signified a woman's inferior place in society at the time. When there were no ethnic minorities on TV, white people used to 'black up' rather than actually employ one of them, and this signified black people's place in society at the time. There is a *direct* correlation between whether a Transsexual is allowed to play a Transsexual in the media and a Transsexual's perceived place in society. The LGBT members of the crowd should remember there is a T in LGBT. We all want more visibility & this is all Lauren was saying. On a side note having watched the whole sorry episodes I have to say what a vile, horrible little man David Hoyle is.
Post a Comment