Saturday, August 30, 2008

No Evil

I know dears, I know, it’s appalling the length of time since I’ve been on here. I’m so ashamed I can barely look in the mirror. Will it help if I say I haven’t been idle? I’ve been working on getting fit again, writing an article for Boyz (should be in this week’s edition – a FULL PAGE, if you please) and organising a fabulous show at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. Me, pulling off a successful club night, can you imagine? What was I thinking?!

Most of the credit goes to the act I booked – David Benson with this marvellous show Think No Evil Of Us. I was just smart enough to realise it would work (pats self on back) and persuade other people to take the chance.

The show is part autobiographical and part David impersonating Kenneth Williams, you can read my review of when I first saw it at Bloomsbury Theatre two years ago. Parts of the text have always stayed with me and I thought it would be great to see it again in the intimate surrounds of the Tavern.

Thanks to the gift of Facebook we had booked half the space up before the doors even opened. The show was so powerful that, far from the rowdiness of the RVT’s two main busy nights – Duckie and SLAGS on Sunday – you could have heard a pin drop throughout the performance as everyone remained engrossed in the story.

I was DJing before, during and after the show and was slightly nervous because my old friend Mark Wood, an actual famous DJ from Readers Wifes was in the house (he's the blond one), and I got even more spooked when I looked across the room and saw Princess Julia. SCREAM!

The weird thing with Mark being there was that if I hadn’t met him all those years ago when I worked at Virgin, I might not be doing all this. He was the one who introduced me to the Retro Bar and Duckie and a whole new scene that I didn’t even know existed.

God knows why I had been too gormless to find it for myself, but there you have it. I can’t really remember what I used to do about 10 years ago. I think I just stayed at home and watched telly. I know I was constantly BORED.

Then it was two of the Readers Wifes pop group who persuaded me to have a go at DJing, something I’d never considered previously, and the rest, as they say, is history.

It’s weird to think that one person can have such a powerful effect on your destiny, and even though working at Virgin led to me being made redundant and later facing near bankruptcy, I’m still glad I did it to have made such a good friend and had the course of my life altered.

I dread to think would have become of me otherwise.

2 comments:

chrisv said...

As is said of the Countess Olenska in THE AGE OF INNOCENCE I suspect you would have found your own level in society.

Congratulations on the David Benson show, it was a boss night.

Gareth said...

Oops I thought I'd commented on here already.



THANK YOU for a fantastic evening.