Oh well Wotever ... nevermind
FURIOUS this weekend as the back dated pay rise I had been promised at the day job, and had been liberally spending in anticipation, spectacularly failed to appear. This had led me to sink into the world of OVERDRAFT, surely the most depressing of the financial conditions.
My days have therefore consisted of cut-price pizzas, ‘worth it’ DVDs from Woolworths (Austin Powers, since you asked) and own-brand supermarket pet food for the cat (who's not impressed!) I even attempted an evening of sobriety on Sunday but didn’t make it long past seven thirty before going out to brace the freezing cold in search of a bottle of Chateau Cheapskate from Tesco. I may be poor but there are limits, I still have my dependency issues to finance.
Still, it’s not all been drab. On Saturday I had my first ever gig at Club Wotever, who have decided to branch out south of the river and were holding a night in Camberwell. It was at some middle-of-nowhere location called the Sun and Doves, but turned out to be a tip-top evening. One of the turns was Sjaak, a man-in-a-frock opera singer who once guested at VauxhallVille. He always puts on a good show but often includes a song about killing kittens, which I really can’t approve of!
It was good to see Jonny Slut who stopped by for an hour or so. He’s just dropped out of college because the degree course he started was full of 20-year-olds. We had a good old grizzle about young people and how they PRATTLE and we really get tired of listening. Life can be hard when you’re over 40 and consumed by a terminal bitterness.
Was a good crowd at the venue and I was pleased there was lots of dancing throughout my set. Three tubby trans lads grooving on top of a table right near the DJ booth made me a little nervous of an impending health and safety disaster, but it’s nice to witness such enthusiasm. I’ve heard my set was described as “the best wedding I’ve ever been to” (?!) and Joe Pop complimented my “post ironic dance tunes” so, um … I think they liked it! Hopefully they’ll invite me back when they do some nights at the Vauxhall Tavern next year.
In an attempt to woo further DJ employment I also, this weekend, ordered my first ever batch of business cards! They’re going to be black with orange writing and a nice little picture - DEAD LUSH, I’m hoping. They should be here in about a week, can’t wait to see them.
As a complete aside, walking past the post office today I couldn’t help but be impressed by the special 2nd class stamp for this year’s festive season. Cross dressers on her majesty’s Royal Mail, who’d have thought it? The American’s might have a black man for their President but we have drag queens on our Christmas postage stamps – so there!!

1 comment:
Your cards say Dead Lush?
I think if Lesley gets to hear about that she won't be best pleased.
Mind you - good way to get her gigs!
Post a Comment