Sunday, November 30, 2008

Smells, Wigs and Sin

Don’t you think straight people have a funny smell about them? Especially the men. We had a heavy metal band on at Kunst on Friday and there was an entourage of ‘extreme males’ assembled when I arrived to soundcheck. I mean, they were pleasant enough but I just don’t know ... first there was the loud, faux-confident way of speaking with that dialogue that’s just lots of monosyllabic vowel sounds; but then there was this weird odour that sort of mixed dankness with human hormones and it was just ... icky.

They wreak so much destruction too, after their 25 minute set there was broken glass everywhere, a monitor cable had been damaged beyond repair and a drunken punter had to be forcibly removed from the premises. You don’t get all that with a nice bit of queer cabaret. Tsk!

That aside it’s been a pretty quiet week which has led me to plummet into a spiral of depression. From today on though the next month is booked, booked, BOOKED. I’m off to see Naked Civil Servant at the BFI later with David Hoyle, then tomorrow I’m very excited to be going to see Wig Out at the Royal Court. I bought tickets for this ages ago and can’t wait to see lots of new drag stars running around and strutting their stuff.

I was very nearly involved in the casting for the production. The director got hold of my details as a tranny stalker and wrote and asked if I could recommend anyone for the lead roles. I suggested a few names but none of them seem to be appearing, and come to think of it I never got a word of thanks, but hey ... that’s show biz.

Later in the month I will be venturing to the Festival Hall for the Justin Bond and Tiger Lillies Christmas Show. Their pantomime Sinderella looks like it could possibly rival David Hoyle’s Wizard of Oz night for number of times a naughty word can be shouted across the South Bank – there’s certainly plenty of cunts and fucks. Oh Matron!
Take a look at this fabulous preview clip on You Tube.

I can’t wait to see it when they’re in full costume, especially Justin in a Cinderella ball gown (assuming there is one.)

In other news my business cards have arrived and I’m delighted.

Now I’ve just got to remember to give them out to people. Sometimes I have this habit of acquiring something and thinking that’s enough. Like buying a book and then thinking I have a knowledge of its subject without realising I have to open it up and actually read it. I’ve only got a hundred cards so I can’t give one to each and every one of you, but so you don't feel left out here’s a copy you can print out and keep. Never say I’m not a giver.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

There was a lot of testosterone about on Friday.