Sunday, November 16, 2008

What are Words Worth?

As they used to say on Chigley, “Time flies by when I’m the driver of a train ...”
The weeks just keep WHIZZING by at the moment. It’ll soon be time for me to jet off to New York for Christmas and, despite my having been a bit blasé about the “credit crunch”, I’ve had a bad month for handbag and I’m getting a bit *eek squeal* about how much this unnecessary four day extravagance is going to cost me. With the pound to dollar ratio going upsy dutch it’s going to be way more than I’d bargained for and there’s still the Boxing Day sale at Macy’s factor in. GODDAMNIT!!!

I suppose I could save a few bob by staying in but that would be, like, WAY BORING. In fact I’ve recently expanded my social horizon by attending a couple of queer discussion groups – how 80s! The first was actually a bit of a snore fest – Improbable’s Disgruntled and Disgusted proposed to discuss Do gender and sexuality still matter - and if they do, what do we do with them?

The premise sounded reasonable enough but after a ten minute intro assuring us that “everyone’s view is valid” and “anyone who sits at your group is the right person to talk to,” I was starting to feel a bit bilious. It was becoming apparent that the representatives of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern – me, Nathan, Timberlina, Michael Twaits and a few adopted brethren who are always up for a bit of a barney – were really not suited to this world of touchy feely.

As I sat down to my first discourse my doubts became a certainty. Entitled “Should we embrace or reject the clichés?” I was arrogantly assuming this debate would relate to some of my own pet subjects – like the battle between those who celebrate queer stereotypes and those who dismiss them as damaging the public face of the gay community. No such luck.

What we got was along the lines of “Well, you see, like, I do a lot of feminist performance but I have long blond hair so, like, people fink that’s weird and that you can’t really be a proper feminist.” I had an inkling that it wouldn’t be considered “valid” to shout, “Oh for God’s sake get over yourself, you soft tit!”
So instead I rolled my eyes and went to purchase another can of Red Stripe from the bar.

It got better later on when a group of us were sat with Stella Duffy – the host for the evening – who suggested we should organise a similar event on a grander scale and invite representatives from Stonewall to talk about how we can move the queer / gay community forward and stop all the in-fighting. In particular - as it was the eve of the Stonewall awards that were being protested by trans supporters for their nomination of Julie Bindel as Journalist of the Year – we discussed their decision to disenfranchise themselves from the trans community, despite having named their organisation after the event where DRAG QUEENS AND TRANNIES stood up to police brutality and launched the beginnings of Gay Liberation. They should really hang their heads in shame.

My next parlez vous was Gay Mentors, a group that I’m a little bit uncertain about. It’s basically been set up to support people who are going through life crises or are interested in self help, and those who want to mentor them. I don’t actually feel I fit into either of those categories, but I had sod all else to do and Stewart Who and Dickie Beau where involved so I thought, “What the hell?” It turned out to be an interesting event, not least because of the presence of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.

I saw a few of the original order in San Francisco at a Gay Pride event I went to there years ago. I seem to remember a few of them whizzing round by the Castro on rollers skates and I was in love. In SF these bonkers drag queen nuns are still going strong; they work actively in the community to promote human rights, tolerance and spirituality. They also raise money to provide grants for events and organisations working in queer or sex positive projects.

There are now orders across the world and I’m not too sure how long the UK group have been operating, their web site is still under construction, but I was fiercely jealous when one of the young guys at the meeting said he’d been invited to join them. WHY DIDN’T THEY INVITE ME??!!

At the moment I feel I’d be much more interested in helping with the work of a bunch of bonkers nuns and having them represent me instead of trusting my civil liberties to Stonewall.

2 comments:

Gareth said...

the pond/dollar rate is indeed a bummer, it definitely means my next US trip will either be short, or further away than I would like.

On a separate note following omn from your Stonewall rant I like the fact that the word verification for this comment is thickies.

Anonymous said...

re my suggestion for an Open Space on where are we now as LGBTQII etc etc, it's not so much that Stonewall - or indeed any other organisation/group, should be 'invited' - but that if it were an Open Space, then we'd do our best to let as many people know as possible, make a good clear invitation, and then - in the spirit of Open Space (which does suit me as a very touchy feely type!) then the right people - who wanted to be there - would turn up. And it would be those people who could then talk about what next/where next. That's how Open Space works, it takes its tone from whoever is there - whether they are in the discussions or, equally valid on that occasion, getting another can of Red Stripe! My personal thought is not be that it should - or should not - be about Stonewall, but it should be about all of us : who we are/where we are now/what happens next, do we even have a 'community'. My own interest would be in using Open Space to ask that as it feels like a useful form to me - specifically because it does encourage contribution from all, not just a selected few. That's why I felt the D&D event worked (though I realise some may have been expecting something a bit more firework-y on Nov 5th!), because it had discussion on any number of vaguely-related and totally unrelated topics - plenty of straight people involved in discussing gender and sexuality too. For me, that's good stuff. Glad you were there. Stella x