Kid Creole Rocked My Pants!
Yes, it's true! Saw Kid Creole and his fine Coconuts at the Jazz Cafe this evening and they totally hit the spot.
On one hand the most heterosexual of performers, by the same token they are one of the campest things you ever will witness too!
Centre stage was the Kid in his royal purple finery - trouser waistband right up to his nips! I was a tad disappointed with the Coconuts at first, they were a bit pound shop. They all had the same hair, same make up, same outfits. Back in the days of the old Coconuts, they were similar but all had their own "look". Still, I soon got used to them and the one closest to us (Eva, I believe) was cute as can be, so I spent a long time watching her wiggle.
All the hits were there - I'm A Wonderful Thing, Gina Gina, Annie I'm Not Your Daddy, Stool Pigeon ... ha cha cha cha.
To the Kid's left was Eddie Bongo - "25 years of service" - a tubby Musky from Deputy Dawg. Besides laying down a fine timpani, he also took time to ponder the plight of the hetero boy-fop ... "What I want to know, if I get engaged to a lady, where's *my* ring?" Amen to that, sister!
Sadly there was no chance for a stage invasion. At Kew Gardens a few years ago, Chris and I were cruelly robbed of our 5 minutes of Coconut fame when we went to the toilet while all around us were invited up on stage. It's a blow from which we will never recover, but by the end of the evening the whole joint was a-jumpin so we were happy enough with that. With 12 band members on the stage, there was hardly room for a couple of lardy 40-odds anyway!
I'll just have to put my spangly bra away for next time ...

1 comment:
Eva had a distinct lack of bazoomies in my opinion... but a nice withering come-hither look in the eyes...
Post a Comment