Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Wordy Rappinghood

Being too lazy to reach for the remote last night, I sat through BBC2's Balderdash and Piffle – it’s like Call My Bluff but with bigger budgets.

Last night’s letter was C. That’s C for cake, crapulous, curry … and that rude word your mum doesn’t like.

Jerry Hall researched “cocktail”, while Courtney Pine scoured jazz clubs for the origins of “cool”.

Germaine Greer, meanwhile, delivered her analysis of c … (nudge) you know.

Painting it large on a brick wall, she celebrated the strength and power of the word. She tutted the lack of an acceptable alternative, but then decided it’s probably best kept taboo - you wouldn’t want it losing its edge.

Armed with her celebrity guest’s findings, presenter Victoria Coren trotted off to bother etymologists at the Oxford English Dictionary, smugly nagging them to update their definitions.

God they must hate her. Through gritted teeth they smile and nod, “Well done, Victoria.” And silently, you cunt.

5 comments:

Gareth said...

I actually thought of yu when this bit was on.

I thoyght yu would have been a wonderful standine for Germaine, and would have put all those old biddies who were disaproving of the word in their place.

Anonymous said...

One of the designers I work with was talking about this today. He told me all about the origin or the word, and he spoke about his love of Germaine. While I was watching him tell me about this, I remembered that I'd had a rather good sex dream about him the night before. lovely.

redhairedqueer said...

I keep having dreams about Pete Burns ... not wet ones, though.

chrisv said...

I *heart* me some Germaine. I would like one of those fake street names plates with Gropecunt Lane on't.

Victoria Coren is well slappable. She also has that profoundly irritating way of speaking her lines and then leaving a gap


at the end of them - as if to point out completely non-existant irony and/or humour. I believe this is what is known as doing a Clarkson.

Her father Alan C bought a poster off us for her birthday. She's a high-roller in the poker league supposedly. If that's not a contradiction


in terms. Oh God I'm at it now.

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha - I enjoyed that program and loved Germaine, but there's something about Victoria Coren that just made me want to hate her.

G.