Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Another of Life's Disappointments

Yesterday I went to the Museum of London's Queer is Here exhibition with Toby. What a waste of blummin time.

We were expecting an array of artifacts, pictures and representations of gay life. Instead we got an 8-foot long panel and a couple of glass cabinets - and even they failed to impress.

The exhibition only covers the past 30 years which is incredibly short sighted. I don't know who wrote the copy, but they don't seem to have much knowledge of the subject. A few well known facts were glossed over, but nothing that anyone who reads the national press wouldn't know about already.

The claim that a third of the UK's LGBT population lives in London seems a bit wide of the mark. And the description of Civil Partnerships as being a "carbon copy of heterosexual marriage" made me splutter with disbelief.

The glass cabinets were significantly short of breathtaking, holding rainbow badges, labyris earrings and the likes. There were a few Civil Partnerships greetings cards but they're hardly historical - they've only been in the shops for two months!

Our chagrin was further compelled when we went further into the museum to discover a vast Black History display. Now I have no problem with a celebration of black history, but why they get prime exhibition space and we get 8 foot of badly constructed tat is yet to be discovered.


Still, far be it from us to waste an opportunity to impersonate art, so here is me being, erm ... some bloke I forgot to check the name of.

I also tried to be Bob Marley but came out looking more like Ben Vonpellier from Curiosity Killed the Cat - hey ho!

Later in the week I'm going to the Dan Flavin exhibition at the Hayward. Not quite sure how I'm going to impersonate a neon tube, but I'll give it my goddamn best shot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're ever in Berlin, don't bother with the Gay Museum there ... equally disappointing ... and in German.

G.

chrisv said...

Dawn... I think you should turn your hall cupboard into a gay museum.

I can loan you the front cover of The Pink Paper where you can see me on one of the Walk For Life things.