Music, Art and Pop Stars
Having survived the Brits, last night I thought I'd chance my arm at the NME Awards show.
The presence of Russell Brand made it a more enjoyable production, but it was equally depressing on the music front. It seems modern pop is now dominated by ugly white men and the Sugababes. Oh, and the tokenistic whatever that went to Kanye West. I still don't get the big deal with him, it's a blinkin' racket!
In keeping with the Brits, there were the same 6 or so bands nominated for every award. Arctic Monkeys won no less than 3. Good god, they're not awful or anything but they're not that flippin good. A right cocky bunch of twats they are too. Not surprising, really - as Russell opined, "Bless 'em, it's their age."
Earlier in the day I trotted off to the Hauser and Wirth gallery near Piccadilly to see the Warhol's World exhibition - a collection of photographs taken by Andy W himself.
The pictures are enjoyable but he's no Diane Arbus. In most cases the subject is far more interesting than the artistry of the shot. I was disappointed to find there was no Candy Darling, in fact there were hardly any drag queens at all. I spotted a nice shot of a young Ian McKellan and also a fantastic one of Boy George and Marilyn.
I've always loved Marilyn but I think he's probably lost the plot. Ryan Homoelectric interviewed him for a documentary he was producing a few years ago. Marilyn was also appearing on Never Mind the Buzzcocks that day and was being very difficult and making lots of demands. Ryan's a good looking chap and Marilyn stalked him for a while by text, Ry got quite stressed about it. Hee hee - not sure how long it went on for.I'd quite like to have Marilyn as my friend, but I reckon he'd always be trying to ponce cash. I've heard that he's penniless now and has to live with his mum. Sigh - there should be some kind of trust fund for failed 80s pop stars. I'd throw Pete Burns a few quid too. Did you see him on Friday Night Project last night in that amazing dress? How FANTASTIC!!

2 comments:
Poor the Marilyn.
Years ago he came in the shop and was a noticeable knob'ead. The past sometimes should stay in the past... but sadly it never does.
I totally shined the NME awards on. Y' kinda know exactly how foul it would be. As I've said before, it's the mad rush for these new bands to be at every award show and play every festival. I predict a riot? Yeah right.
A little anti-establishmentism might be a welcome relief.
Marilyn
"In Bed With Marilyn" Welcome to our new Marilyn forum!
Made for the Marilyn web-community (July 23, 2007).
http://peterrobinson.proboards58.com/
Post a Comment