Snake in the Grass
My memories of last night are fading fast, so I'd better get them down quickly. Me, Toblarina and the Art East all went to Snake Bites at the Purcell Room - a literary event to mark the twentieth anniversary of Serpent's Tail books.
We wanted to go because Justin Bond was reading Jayne County, it sounded just too good to miss. In the end he couldn't make it, but for £8.50 we decided we'd still pop along.
The evening was curated by Neil Bartlett who, while he's an all round very nice man, was one of the weakest speakers. His reading was flat, he didn't emerse himself in the text and become part of the fiction. He did, however, choose his assembled cast well - they all performed and made their words brighter and more colourful.
First up was a lively little woman called Kathryn Hunter who read a feminist tale of unrequited love. I enjoyed the confused ideology of the subject who believed that marriage ruins women, but still obsessed over the man she desired in the belief that he could set her free.
Stella Duffy was slightly grating in that she carries a posh girl smugness. Her performance, however, was superb and she could teach Bartlett a thing or two about phasing and vocal expression. She read a piece about killing a date by smacking him about the head with a bat. Maybe it's my urge to do that to many people that made it so engaging.
The crowd pleaser by far was Simon McBurney - he flawlessly conveyed the story of a man who submits to the bullying of an old woman, only to erupt with fury when she has the audacity to die in his flat, leaving him with no amount of inconvenience and worry. The piece ended with him storming from the stage in disgust.
The finale was a bit of a mistake - the seven readers all returned to the stage to present brief passages concert-style with no introductions or breaks. This left them without context and became a bit overwhelming, but it was a toast to the wide variety of literature available.
I've decided I quite like being chin-strokey. It's hardly the new rock n roll, but I'll definitely be back for more.
PS. Read The Old Woman - it's fab!

7 comments:
Know what you mean about Neil Bartlett.
I went to his reading of 'Ready to Catch Him' years ago and he has the quietest voice.
Glad I stayed in despite having paid my £8.50.
Did you enjoy the erotic lesbian poetry?
G.
Urrgh! NO!
I'd forgotten about that. Describing an orgasm as like the sea rolling up and crashing against the shore - vile!!
Lesbian erotica is crap ... I only read the boys' stuff!
I liked the lesbian erotica! Crashing waves and heaving bosoms. Like I say 'I wish I were a lesbian'.
born : Woolwich, London SE18
raised : Tokoroa, timber town, NZ
live : Loughborough Junction, south London
posh girl : hell no
rounded vowels : possibly. depends on how nervous I am when reading. (though more to do with being sick of people asking me what I mean when NZ accent makes six sounds like sux.)
finale : I liked it best, the fluidity of the pieces that Neil had chosen, the fact that I don't think all writing always needs an acknowledgement of the writer, at least not at a reading event.
Oh wow! Sunday April 30 - a celebrity came to my blog!
Born in Woolwich? Oh lordy, I work there and it truly is the anti-posh.
It's a shame you moved to New Zealand, they had a campaign using local celebs a while ago to encourage children to stay in school. I can just picture "BE A LESBIAN WRITER LIKE STELLA" emblazoned on the side of the buses.
Strangely they overlooked another of their greatest exports - Boy George. Funny, that.
yeah, poor old Woolwich. despite my mentioning it in almost every biog/interview/whatever, it never really gets any attention. I'd totally have done a stay-at-school campaign. being the youngest of 7 (non-posh!) kids in my family, & the only one to stay at school past 16 (lack of money to keep the others there as much as anything), I absolutely know how a bit more education can really help - esp when you're not suited to vocational training of any kind. though of course, way back then, NZ universities had grants not loans. still, Woolwich Common Nursery School was a very good start.
(ps - less 'celeb visits blog' than procrastinating writer checks out responses to event she thinks was important and nicely done and yet, not at all surprisingly, given Serp Tail is an indie, got almost no mainstream press attention. and wasn't even listed in Guardian/Times. funny that.)
Post a Comment