Tuesday, July 18, 2006

David Hoyle Revisited

Been told off by Gerald for not updating my blog. Bloody cheek. Truth is, I've not been up to much, it's been too bastard hot. On Saturday I went to see David Hoyle's show again. I'd seen the opening night so thought I'd go for for the finale, I always like to see the start and finish of a run.

The show was more aggressive than Tuesday's. After my surprise at finding myself introduced to the audience and getting a round of applause, I was cock-a-hoop to find my two favourite subjects were up for discussion: gender dysphoria and gay politics. There were lots of quips about how being gay is so mainstream now you might as well be dead. Also digs at muscle marys and gay couples who have relationships that "could almost be heterosexual". Then there was a rant against civil partnerships and my favourite line of the night, "we'll know we have achieved equality when married couples say things like "Oh, we're absolutely delighted, our youngest son has started to show signs of effeminacy."" How I laughed.

It kind of reminded me of when my friend Sarah phoned a while ago to tell me her 16 year old had come out. I'd figured he was gay years before when she told me he hung out with girls and listened to Kylie. She appeared quite surprised but then agreed he'd always been "too nice to be straight".

I was reading recently about some Native American cultures where male children who displayed feminine characteristics were valued by the tribe as sacred. They believed that the Great Spirit had sent the child to act as a bridge between the sexes, someone who understood both sides of the human condition. Now, of course, they're just called fags.

No comments: