Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Gays are SO Artistic

There are those that claim there is more to gay culture than going out to clubs and bars. Well, that seemed like a funny old idea to me, but yesterday's House of Homosexual Culture Autumn Fayre was there to prove that they were right all along.

There were all manner of demonstrations from needlepoint to portrait drawing. The stalls included bric-a brac, soft furnishings and cakes. "Can we whip up a light-as-air sponge?" the promotional flyers had asked. Well, according to the two cakes and the raspberry meringue I crammed down my fat face, we can!

The event was also the "soft launch" of my brand new mini-zine Tranny Hag. It became the soft launch because the piss-poor printers I had employed failed to deliver the finished product on time. I'll spare you the foul mouthed ranting my cat has been privvy to these past few days, but suffice to say I was NOT HAPPY. If you're on the look-out for some printing work, DO NOT select Trade Print Europe, they're a shower of absolute shit.

But we queers are nothing if not resourceful, so I spent 5 hours on Friday cranking out limited edition hand-printed copies of the mag, which I'm sure will go on to become collectors editions, and I'm pleased to say they went quite well.

Toby and I had a very nice chat with Sir Ian McKellan who thumbed though an issue and promised to come back and buy one. Needless to say, I didn't see the bugger for dust after that, though I still think he's a terribly nice chap.

There was a friendly and mutually supportive vibe to the day. I enjoyed the company of my neighbouring stall holders - one was selling pocket drag kits, and the other was selling handmade felt toys and his ingenious little comic book, People I Know.

So it's true, there IS more to gay culture than clubbing, but right now I fancy a beer.

No comments: