Monday, January 07, 2008

It Ain't Over Til It's Over

Well, I have to say, 2008 has not been good so far. I have been depressed, susceptible to headaches and, to top it all, now the RVT have gone and axed my bleedin’ club night!

Yes, Mister Sister has played its last tune and heralded its last tranny. Well, for the time being anyway, I aim to find another home for it. They didn’t beat us down at Stonewall and they won’t beat us down now. False lashes on and lipstick at the ready sisters, we’re going to war.

I find it extremely depressing, the number of small clubs that are opening and closing on a frequent basis across London. The more established places – Duckie, Horsemeat, Popstars – are still going strong, but very few new places seem to be making it. There’s kind of a saturation now, a new club launch would previously guarantee a full house, but now there’s so many of them people don’t really care, unless they’re getting something for nothing they won’t bother. The only places guaranteed to sell tickets are the venues that are known for being drug fucked, or the ones with dark rooms for the boys. The exception is the bear scene, but they just want to sit around and eat sausages.

Outside of that it’s basically pub quizzes and bingo. Dear God, how has London become so goddamn suburban? Londoners are supposed to be more cultured and arty, but suddenly all they care about is legs eleven and who swallowed the biggest encyclopaedia – where have all the cool people gone too? I was talking about this with Heklina when she was questioning the lack of queer offerings in London, outside of Bistrotheque I can’t really think of anywhere that’s doing anything interesting or is prepared to nurture new talent, and no-one is going to make a living playing Bistrotheque. Yet I am continually hearing about cool things happening in New York or San Francisco, it’s enough to make you weep.

It’s going to get harder and harder as more art’s grants are pulled to save money for the bastard Olympics, so please people please, I beg of you – support your local club, or cabaret or venue. Take a chance on something even if you don’t know if you’ll like it, it’s only a night out, what’s the worst that could happen?

There are untapped resources out there and I just KNOW you’ll like at least some of them – it’s your duty as a cultured Londoner.

3 comments:

Owen said...

Sorry to hear about MisterSister. I'll always have fond memories of being spattered in tranny-blood as I sit by the roaring log fire on cold winter nights reading my telly magazines - go out? What? Out *there*?

Anonymous said...

Things are getting far too "safe" these days.

Wheres the passion, the love & the need to push the enelope.

If people don't get up off their arses and start going out or doing it for themselves were gonna have a "scene" that is everything the glossies would have you believe we love.

We need cutting edge clubs that infulence and don't just look for an easy buck.

Yes times are tight but if everyone makes the effort just once a month then maybe we can turn this sorry waste around and leave something for our "children"

chrisv said...

Sorry to hear about MS. The Arts Council cuts are going to hit a fifth of London Arts Venues... including The Drill Hall which will lose it's grant in April.

A disgrace.