Life Mocks Me
Bugger! I knew this would happen. As soon as I sign up for a course rendering all my Wednesdays "booked" for the next 8 months, people start putting together exciting events on Wednesday nights with the sole purpose of pissing me off.
First offender is Jayne County who will be playing Camden Underworld on October 12. For years I've supported that damn tranny and this is how she repays me!!
If you haven't already, you should read Jayne's autobiography, "Man Enough to be a Woman". It's my favourite transgender book, written with humour, honesty and bravery.
Jayne grew up Wayne in a small rural suburb of Atlanta. She later moved to New York City where she formed a band, started hanging out with the Warhol crowd and began exploring her gender and transsexuality.
Originally believing she must have been "born into the wrong body", she signed up for hormone treatments and was planning a sex change operation. This changed after a doctor explained the different degrees of transsexuality and how, for many, a full sex change is not the solution. Instead she chose to cross dress full time and live her life as a woman, while retaining her male genitalia.
There's lots of name dropping in the book - Jackie Curtis, Candy Darling, New York Dolls, Patti Smith. I practically have to lick the pages with excitement.
Sadly Joan Dairy Queen doesn't get a mention. He lived next door to her for a while when she was in Camberwell. He used to see her pegging out her washing in the back garden. So unfair, why can't I have exciting neighbours?!
I can see it now, "just popping round Jayne County's to see if I can borrow a cup of sugar." Fantastic!!

2 comments:
Did you read how Charlotte Cooper was a go go dancer for Jayne?
Its on her site under - archive - I was a teenage go go girl.
Oh yes!
I think I hate her now.
Post a Comment