Monday, September 26, 2005

Who am I?

I'm not quite sure what happened this weekend. I turned down no less than three social invitations in favour of hanging around the flat like a saddo. Most curiously of all, one of them included seeing Justin Bond on stage. I've never turned that down before, I'm starting to wonder who I am. Do you think it's the onset of middle age?

I should have made the effort last night, staying in on a Sunday does weird things to me. About 10.30pm I was listening to The Prodigy thinking, "shit, I really want to go out clubbing RIGHT NOW." Needless to say, I didn't.

There's something incredibly depressing about staying in on Sunday and basically waiting for Monday morning and the working week to begin. Actually, that's the theme of the first chapter of a book I've just started called Fish Sunday Thinking. It was recommended to me on Amazon, their suggested purchase feature is impressively accurate these days.

The synopsis of the book opens, "You are in a job you do not enjoy. You feel you can do better. Your life feels directionless. You feel trapped. You drink to take your mind off it all. You dread Mondays." Err, HELLO, get out of my mind, please!!

It purports to be like a modern day Keep the Aspidistra Flying, the hero is going to try and break free and escape his dull and listless existence. Well, good luck, fella!

I never know whether to laugh or cry when I read about people who I think have a cool lifestyle, only to find out that they, too, have mind-numbing 9- to- 5s and are only cool for a few hours a week. The only people I know who have managed to avoid the mainstream are those who possess a unique talent and / or are able to live with no money without getting stressed about it. Two qualities I am sadly lacking.

Oh well, roll on next weekend. I promise not to waste it this time.

No comments: