Friday, September 23, 2005

Transport Dilemma

Bugger. My car has broken down.

For years it has been problem free, now I try to start it and it wheezes hopefully but then … nowt.

I think it’s the battery and have been trying to get a man out to fix it. Of course, that’s never as simple as it sounds. Straight men being straight men, they are obliged to make a drama out of a crisis. There’s lots of sucking in of air and talk of diagnostics and computer checks. All this at £40 call out and £40 per half hour, thank you very much indeed.

I have been called a girly spazz by Toby for not wanting to change the damn thing myself. He has a point, of course. In the past I have done, when I had a nice garage to hide in and could do the job in secret. You see, straight men being straight men, they can’t bear to walk past a woman doing something they consider to be “their turf.” “You shouldn’t be doing that”, they yell. Why? Because I have tits?! They tell you you’re doing it all wrong, gawp for a minute then walk away shaking their heads. Tossers.

At the same time I have been thinking of buying a bike. A push bike, you understand, not a motorised one. I can picture myself charging through Crystal Palace with thighs of steel and a crap helmet on my head. But where do you put your weekly shop on a bike? To say nothing of a 6 kilo bag of kitty litter.

So I’ve been out to buy a spanner. Better make sure I can get the old battery out before I buy a new one. The dyke community will be proud of me. Unless I fuck it up, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girly spaz! Girly spaz! Girly spaz!

Well, when I changed the battery on my car (called LaJazz), I changed it, and then bashed the thing with a mallet to make sure that they were on properly. I make a good mechanic.

chrisv said...

I have yet to be in your car Lady Miss Coates.

I am suddenly put in mind of Outkast's video for I LIKE THE WAY YOU MOVE where Big Boi is in a garage totally staffed by bootylicious tarts wearing Daisy Duke shorts with half their butt hanging out, Fuck Me shoes and tiny blouses tied under their norkage.

Is that what all lady car mechanics wear?