Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Baby who? Baby Jesus!

Well, I'm pleased to say Kiki and Herb's 'Jesus Wept' at the Queen Elizabeth Hall succeeded in putting a smile back on my miserable face. Of course, I always knew it would.

There's enough jolly stuff to please the Christmas likers, but enough bitterness and bile to satisfy the haters too.

I had been listening to their 'Do You Hear What We Hear?' CD over the weekend to get in the mood, it was nice to see parts of it coming to life on the great stage. I always love the "make yourselves comfortable" intro piece and the festive "baby who? Baby Jesus!" line is my favourite thing EVAH!

It was reassuring to hear that Kiki and Herb are now immortal after drinking the milk of their longtime cow-friend, Daisy. She herself was present at the birth of our lord and accidentally ate some of the after birth, she has therefore been granted ever lasting life.

Along with the good news, it wouldn't be Kiki without associated tales of pain and suffering. In this case it was her harrowing brush with cancer - "imagine being immortal but with a fatal disease."

I loved Herb's solo spot, I just wish I could remember it with a little more clarity. I know it started with The Little Drummer Boy and then turned into a tale of woe. When it mutated into The Cure's 'Boys Don't Cry', I just about wet 'em.

I won't say it was my favourite Kiki and Herb show ever, that honour still goes to the "boat" - all 7 nights that I attended. And the Kings College thing too. I missed the intimacy of the smaller venues, I also prefer the non- Christmas shows that get deeper into the character's persona and the malcontent that drives them. That's when it all gets more emotional and hangs onto reality by an even slimmer thread.

Afterwards I did Cinderella Schmoozerella and went to the after show. Hung out with Joan Dairy Queen, DJ Farah, Crazy Sean, Our Steve and, er, some others. I remember there was a troll-like man sat on top of the water cooler who seemed alarmed that I was drinking so much water. I think he thought I was an ecstasy casualty. Good lord, the druggies didn't invent thirst, you know. We've had it for centuries!

Oh, I also got to meet the aforementioned Daisy who was sprawled enticing across the couch in Justin's room. I petted her ear and she moo-ed contentedly. I hope she hasn't given me immortality, I don't think I could cope.

No comments: