Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Holidays and Lights

Spent the past few days wrestling with a travel feature for my college course. Such a slap in the face - 12 days off work and no money to go on holiday, the last thing I wanted to do was start looking at blummin travel journalism!

Ended up doing a guide to rock n roll sight seeing in New York. I know some of you smug gits are off there soon, so it's here if you're interested. And just so you know, you make me sick!

Earlier in the week I went to the Dan Flavin neon light exhibition at the Hayward. As Toblarina and I are cheap skates we went on half price Monday, this meant we had to share the place with more people than we would have liked, but we didn't let it spoil our trip!

The installations are amazing but I never feel the Hayward presents it's collections very well. In a stark white and brightly lit environment, the pieces lack atmosphere and context. This one, for example, didn't look quite so impressive when we saw it ...

We had fun trying to dodge the wardens and disobey the DO NOT STEP BEHIND THE WORKS signs. Such rebellion - we have a terrible sense of gallery etiquette.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I know some of you smug gits are off there soon" ... oooh, did I mention it in conversation?

G.

Gareth said...

Thank you it will come in very useful I'm sure.