Suppositori Spelling
You might remember me banging on about Suppositori Spelling a while ago, well last night I went to see her at Trannyshack and what a total BLAST!
Wendy Retro is prone to sneer at drag queens and lip-synching. You can picture her, hand on hip - “where’s the talent?” I wish I had recorded Suppositori’s performance to prove, once and for all, that it IS ART.
It’s all about interpretation, and in the same way Kiki uses her voice to redefine naff songs like Total Eclipse of the Heart, Suppositori uses movement and expression to breathe new life into the music she performs. It’s kind of like mime, I kept thinking of Marcel Marceau – she even did a bit of walking along an imaginary wall.
She started off with Marilyn Manson’s New Shit where she tore at her clothes and spat venom at the crowd. Then there was an hilarious take on No Doubt’s Don’t Speak where she literally mimed every word, complete with chattery-mouth hands for “don’t speak” and a knife to the stomach for “it hurts.”
There were costume changes before each number, she next emerged from behind the curtain to tie her hands and feet into strings from the ceiling for a marionette dance to Scissor Sisters Don’t Feel Like Dancin'. Of course, she had some way to go to beat Toby’s and my effort but it she gave it her goddamn best shot!
Just as I thought she had reached her peak, she then achieved the unthinkable by almost making me cry to Kate Bush. I don’t know the name of the song, it was standard bleating on about being a woman, but Suppositori looked so beautiful in a feather headdress and blond wig, and she moved with such skill and feeling that I would have been quite happy to just curl up and die.
The finale was Love to Fuck You Baby, the fantastic track I saw her do at Horse Meat Disco earlier in the year. It combines Donna Summer with a tale about being fucked up the butt and it never fails to make me happy. I’m not embedding another You Tube clip here ‘cos it’s tired, but you NEED to see it so click here.
You should check out her Sinead O’Connor number too.
(AMEND: The Kate Bush track was Song of Solomon and you can see the performance here. Interesting fact - the plastic flowers she pulls out of her pants are now on general display at Right Nasty Mansions)

2 comments:
I like the cheekbones/hoop earrings look
Tsk, Dawn. Total Eclipse of the Heart isn't naff in the least, and certainly doesn't need to be looked at through a post-modern transgendered prism to reveal its innate brilliance. You're kind of missing the point if you think it does - or maybe you need it to be, mmm, dearie? You've got a bit of a pop police vibe going on at the moment, and I don't like it one little bit.
Post a Comment