Monday, October 24, 2005

In Reflective Mood

Went to Marvellous last night with Cheery Matt, first time I've been there in weeks.

I wasn't intending to stay all night, but when I got there I was hit with the news of Simon Hobart's death. A weird veil of secrecy was being kept around the story for reasons I don't understand. Inevitably this was leading to confusion and misunderstanding - then people who felt close to the guy were finding out what happened from websites instead of hearing from their friends.

I didn't know Simon at all, but my empathy with the London gay scene means that I still consider him "family" and it kind of feels like I've lost an uncle I never had the chance to meet.

I often think in these terms when I'm at the Retro and look around at the "regular" faces. Some of them mean more to me than others, same as in any family some of them get on my nerves, but I'm always glad to see them and know that pretty much any time I go there I will find somebody to chew the fat with over a drink. An important factor for me as I don't have a strong bond with my own family.

Hearing the news about Simon suddenly made me want to make the most of the evening and get drunk and enjoy being with friends. I had a conversation with W recently about Simon and how their once close friendship had become slightly estranged. With this in mind I instantly decided to bury the hatchet with Joanie, he got lots of hugs throughout the night. Hopefully a rebonding with Chelsea will happen in time.

On a wider scale there is a general feeling of unease. Trash Palace and Ghetto are closed, the change to the dynamic of our little section of gay London is going to be incredible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gdpreston said:

A very nice piece Dawn - it's all made me feel quiet emotional even though I never knew Simon.

I wasn't in London when The Bell was running, but I was there the very first night Popstarz opened and it had a huge impact on my life, where before there'd never been anything for me within the 'gay scene'. It was the right time for it, but it still had to be done and done well.

I hadn't been for years and it became easy to knock, whereas in truth I probably just got a bit older and moved onto something new (mainly Duckie), but a lot of what's about now is as a direct result of what happened back then (in particular our 2nd home, the Retro Bar).

Makes you appreciate what you've got.

G.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

I was going to ask you if W was upset on Sunday. I was aware that she'd been crying. I guess she knew already.

Anonymous said...

There is an obituary for him in today's Guardian (2nd of November).