Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Awake and Swoon

Have you seen that Chris Voisey showing off in my comments bit because he’s already seen Stockard Channing performing? Smug bitch. He’s always trying to upstage me, that one.

He’s not wrong, though, she is “excellent on stage”, completely unforced and natural. The rest of the cast of Awake and Sing! were great too, but you could still tell that they were acting and could picture them taking off the costumes and hanging out afterwards at the bar.

Stockard, though, seemed like she really *was* Bessie, the tired but determined matriarch who was so concerned with protecting her family that she forgot to allow them to breath. You couldn’t imagine the dowdy clothes being removed to reveal the glamour puss we know lies beneath.

It was her understated performance that also impressed me in Smoke, she engrosses herself so much in the character and forgets about acting or projecting that the role becomes so believable and the mannerisms so natural. So, yes, I’m a little bit in love.

I got an attack of the grins when I realised my front row seat was virtually on the stage. I caught Stockard’s eye a couple of times when she first came on, so I realised I’d better calm down or risk having her think I was a nutter.

There’s not too much action in the play, it’s about a Jewish mother trying to keep her extended family together and how her children struggle for their independence. Also about how they are prepared to lie to protect their “decency” and good name.

There are some good witty lines, including Stockard’s killer when her son-in-law complains about being “second fiddle” … “by me he’s not even in the orchestra.” She seemed to enjoy it when the audience laughed.

I know I’m gushing but I also loved that she looked almost embarrassed when she came on for bows at the end. She seemed genuinely moved by the applause and a little awkward at the attention for the “real” her, there was certainly no egotistical behaviour or clamouring for extra attention. What a star!

http://www.almeida.co.uk/production_details/production_details.aspx?code=26

No comments: