Divas and Angels
Tuesday was the House of Homosexual Culture’s Viva La Diva event at the Drill Hall. At first I wasn’t going to go cos I really didn’t think I could be bothered listening to a few minor celebs talking about their female icons, but then they added David McAlmont to the bill, and said that he’d be singing, so I quickly had a change of heart.
The evening opened with the lovely Rupert Smith talking about his love for Dalida (I know, I’d never heard of her either), an Egyptian born singer who lived most of her life in France. It seems that much of her catalogue saw her bleating on about life’s miseries and how the world had done her wrong. Her husband and two boyfriends all topped themselves so she must have been a laugh to be around. She was a bit like a musical Almodovar movie.
Next was Heidi Licious talking of her love for Madonna. I’ve always considered Madonna to be over-rated, but at least she isn’t constantly whinging. Heidi came back later for a spirited lip-sync of Rose’s Turn from Gyspy. I liked Heidi, we had a brief chat after the show but I’m sorry, I just have to say it … that line on Naff Naff Queen Queen saying she looks like an afghan hound yawning, JUST TOO FUNNY.
Amy Lame spoke about Dusty Springfield and should be commended for her blatant use of the phrase “pussy licker”; then Joe Pop put in an hilarious show about his love for rock chicks that started with the ladies from Rock Follies (yay!) and led on to an abiding adoration for Joan Jett and the Runaways. He also name checked Siouxsie, Patti Smith and Jayne County (double yay!)
Finally it was time for David to talk about how his life has been enriched by Shirley Bassey. He proved to be an eloquent speaker as well as a great singer. He sang a couple of songs and did a little bit of acappela, it was chilling hearing that amazing, huge voice in such a tiny space. He also spoke affectionately of Shirley’s childhood and background before talking about his own life and how excited he was to finally meet Shirley a few years ago. Alas, she wouldn’t speak to him, telling him, “I know who you are and *what* you are,” but it doesn’t seem to have dampened his admiration.
The thing that niggled about the event was the wimmin only focus on biological sex and not gender. Top of my own divas list would be Antony Hegarty and Sylvester, both of whom are as glamorous, over the top and talented as the sistas, and also possess a feminine vulnerability. They both have the voices of angels, as Rupert described Dalida, and lets remember that angels are masculine. I would have loved to see some glam men be included, instead of just a passing reference to Jayne County.

4 comments:
Hey, how funny! I was writing a post myself about this night - I was there, an Italian friend of Rupert's - and I've found your post and your blog when looking for the right spelling of Heidi Licious!
These are truly the wonders of the Internet ;-)
Stefano
(http://cadavrexquis.typepad.com)
“I know how you are and *what* you are”???
I have never liked thr Welsh hag.
I don't believe anybody would say that, least of all Shirley Bassey.
Call me a queeny old knowitall, but I think you'll find Dalida was actually Italian, tho she was born in Egypt, and confusingly won the Miss Egypt competition in 1954.
There's a wee bit more to her back catalogue than whingeing about life's miseries. Most of it's pretty bog standard but wide-ranging MOR 50s/60s/70s Euro pop, taking in bossa nova, torchy numbers and proto-eurodisco.
Admittedly, one or two of her more power-ballady numbers have earned her the lipsynching adulation of drag queens from LeTouquet to Lugano, but her huge general popularity in mainland Europe led to a square in Paris being named after her, following her own suicide in 1987.
And as for the 'Voice of Tiger Bay', you've only got to see her being interviewed to realise that there's not a vast amount going on between those ears. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Post a Comment