Bound for Mu Mu Land
I’ve given in to temptation and booked a weekend away in Munich to see The Big Art Group.
Things I can tell you about the Big Art Group = not very many. They’re a collection of New York creatives who use film, music, performance, colour and bizarre imagery to build works that have been called, according to their website:
“hypnotic, disturbing, anxiety-inducing”
“visually and sonically ravishing...leaving you rattled, amazed and perhaps a little queasy”.
Sounds right up my Strasse (see what I did there?)
The company uses a changing cast and the show I’m seeing – Cinema Fury: The Imitation – includes one of the Toilet Boys, a Lunachick and ... yes, you knew this bit was coming ... one Justin Bond.
I love seeing him do different things so I’m literally chomping at the bit over this show. It’s described at the group’s "love letter" to New York - telling a story of surrender, transgression and chaos. Lord only knows what that entails but it sounds horribly exciting.
There’s a few examples of the group’s work on You Tube, one of my favourites is a trio of clips by Rob Roth. I don’t think he’s involved in the performance I'm seeing but I’d love if he was. Rob used to sing with Debbie Harry and I met him once in New York round at Sammy Jo’s place – he burst through the door and threatened to kill me with a plastic devil fork, I’ve held a curious affection for him ever since.
His little clips are text and audio films of personal ads from people who want to kill or be eaten. Better not watch with the lights out – IT'S SCARY!!

No comments:
Post a Comment