Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Knock Me Down With A Feather

Excuse me while I wipe a tear from my eye. It appears the public at large has just woken up to the fact that the country is still rife with homophobia. Well, I ask you! Who knew?!!

Such a sorry reflection of the nation that it’s been an advert for Heinz that has brought about this shock discovery – they blow up our pubs, kill people on Clapham Common … nope, doesn’t register. But stop us from advertising deli-style mayonnaise and it’s all oooohhhhh, we’re not having that are we? Bitches! It’s even made the front cover of the Metro today – remarkable!

You can read what Dickie Beau had to say about the advert cos he’s said it better than I could. I don’t doubt for one minute it’s a calculated move by the advertisers, it seems highly unlikely that they were trying to seduce the gay market, especially as the guys in the clip aren’t even homos. It’s hard to see what people were even complaining about since it’s just “mum” being replaced by a New York Deli Chef. Though I quite like the “straight home sweet cheeks” line, that’s mildly camp.

So now the gayers are threatening to boycott Heinz products – nice bit of drama – though personally I couldn’t be arsed about the sales figures of Heinz products, if it shakes the gay world up and makes it a little less complacent then it’s all for the better.

I’ll see you at the Pride march next Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if 200 complaints can make this much drama, why don't we arrange a fake complaint? 200 people can;t be ard to muster? Maybe we should complain that Tanner lady pads are aimed at the older woman, but some women who have had kids young also piss themselves when they sneeze. IT'S FUCKING AGEIST!!