Tuesday, June 10, 2008

An Undesirable Presence

Years ago, when I worked Saturdays at Our Price, a group of us would regularly be barred from our local pub in Ealing. After a day of selling RnB and Kylie to a largely ungrateful public, we would rush to the pub in a jubilant mood, then gradually become more and more disgraceful as the evening developed into good humoured bitch fights and, on a particularly good night, mock fisticuffs.

None of it was ever malicious, we were just like hyperactive children, but by the end of the night the bar staff would get sick of it. Pointing sternly at the door they would bark, “OUT … and don’t come back” ... only to welcome us with a cheery smile and a warm hello the following weekend. I think they enjoyed the farce as much as we did.

These days I am far less badly behaved but not, apparently, above expulsion – now it just manifests itself in different ways.

I have noted that I am being publicly snubbed, BLANKED you could even say, by the legion of Lauren Harries fans (approximate headcount: 2) who, up until only just recently, were stalking me.
If you go to You Tube you will see they have uploaded the entire Lauren Harries Sober / David Hoyle Magazine interview in seven handy sections but, get this, they have EDITED OUT my contribution!

Given that I didn’t say anything bad about her – and they’ve left in Maggi Hambling asking David why he’s sharing the stage with “this creature” - I can only suspect this thing is personal. I mean, all I did was set her straight about the Hayley Cropper character on Coronation Street! Welsh loony tunes aficionados are SO TOUCHY !!

Do you think I am now MARKED and in need of my own permanent police escort? Perhaps I should phone you all and let you know where I’m going in future, so you can tell the coppers if I wind up brutally murdered.

I’ve left a comment to enquire why the clip has been edited, but as yet there has been no response. I will keep you updated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know where you live, and I'll tell the Welsh loony tunes aficionados if you don't start being nicer to me!!!!

Howard said...

Ha! Your days are numbered!

Gareth said...

I'm Welsh but not a loony tune nor an aficionado.

redhairedqueer said...

We'll be the judges of that