Little Boy Hercules
I still remember when I first found out about Hercules and Love Affair. I was in the Retro Bar and Finton casually asked me, “Oh, haven't you heard of them? It's Antony singing disco.” Well, I immediately turned into one of those cartoons where their eyes pop out and their jaws drop wide open, he had to check the floor to make sure I hadn't wet myself.
There was no Antony in attendance at their UK debut at Soho Review Bar on Tuesday, but that really didn't matter. Vocalists Kim Ann and Nomi were engaging front-people and the songs are all fierce enough to stand up on their own.
Nomi slinked effortlessly through Antony’s tracks Time Will and Raise Me Up. The big question mark was always going to hang over Blind and, well, I can’t quite believe I’m going to type this, but I think I actually liked her version better. There, I’ve said it, I’m sorry Antony, but I’m afraid that’s just the way it is.
Nomi is also a total fox - tall slim and elegant - but a little bit too perfect to be a new crush, I like my honeys to have a bit of an edge to them. She spent most of the show in a slinky little black number before running off near the end to come back clad in shocking pink ruffles.
Kim Ann is understated as her sidekick, grooving and dancing gay-boy style throughout. She sang the wonderful Shadows, which I adore, but the surprise highlight of the show was a dance version of Don’t Fear the Reaper. Yes, the old Blue Oyster Cult song from the 70s hit parade. I had that on 7 inch when I was a kid and it looked conspicuously misplaced in the midst of my ABBA and chart pop collection, who knew it would suddenly raise its head again in such a curious location?
By this time pretty much the whole room was up and jiggin, and I have to say the Soho Review Bar is a prime location for small musical happenings. The night will be stored away in my memory like the first time I saw Scissor Sisters or, indeed, Antony before the proles got wind of them. They’re far too precious for the mainstream.

No comments:
Post a Comment