Drag Kings
I was watching a programme about Drag Kings on Sky Travel last night. I wish they'd put stuff like that on mainstream TV at a reasonable time, instead of stupid "ladette to lady" crap and endless series about dumb bastards who don't know how to discipline their kids.
Anyway, it was all very interesting and was focused around a group of butch types who tour around America in a kind of drag king review. I got a bit teary when one of them had her mum and dad come to the show. They didn't exactly look comfortable, but then what parents would be comfortable in a club full of strangers with their daughter up on stage talking about her vagina?!
There was a black woman called, I think, Sheila. She had very strong features and was really striking both in and out of drag. They showed her getting ready for the show, drawing her moustache on with eyeliner then covering it with glue and sticking on bits of hair she had chopped meticulously into little bits.
My own forays into cross dressing have been less dramatic. Though I'm happy enough to don the male clothing, I still can't leave off the make up and jewellery. But I enjoy the gender fluidity that that image creates, I'm certainly not interested in being a man.
Funny thing is, when I'm dressed like that, a lot of men on the train etc are VERY polite to me. I honestly can't figure out why ...

No comments:
Post a Comment