Blonde Blast from the Past
Long before I'd ever even heard of Justin Bond, I used to stalk a little known blonde songstress by the name of Deborah Harry.
I credit Blondie for releasing me from geekdom when I was a mere 13 or 14 years old. I was a shy, awkward teenager who was obsessed with Abba. Thankfully, one of the older kids at school took to playing Parallel Lines and Plastic Letters in the rec room and I was suddenly transported to the world of "hip".
It wasn't until 1989 that I finally got to see Debbie live, it was at the Town and Country Club. I remember that for the first couple of minutes I could hear her but couldn't see through the crowd. Then I finally elbowed my way to the front and YEOWW, she was absolutely blummin gorgeous!
That marked the start of a 12 year infatuation that took me all over the country and even to the USA to see gigs. I even have a dodgy tattoo on my shoulder that features her name. I plan to get rid of it soon - believe me, it really is dodgy!
Last night, dosed up on Advil and with a pleasing Jack Daniels anesthetic (supplied by the aforementioned Mr Bond), I trotted off to see Blondie at the Royal Albert Hall. I can't say I was especially excited, I was expecting a greatest hits package and I'm bored to death with all those songs. Thankfully, it seems, so are they!
Instead we got lots of stuff from Parallel Lines, a surprisingly fab version of Good Boys and just a few of the obvious hits. I always enjoy Rapture live, I don't care how naff it is!
Sadly they also threw in a cover of Roxy Music's More Than This. God knows who thought that was good idea, I haven't been so embarrassed since they covered Heroes!
Still, it was a nice trip down memory lane. Tall Paul is off to see them at Shepherds Bush next month too, but I've decided to give that one a miss. Time to move on ...

2 comments:
So you're not braving the Frozen North for 'em this time round then? Shall let you know what they're like at Bratfud.
So, come on then, setlist please!
Have you seen the new CD/DVD package that's out at the moment? Packaging is a bit naff but it's nice to see all those vidjos!
Post a Comment