Vive Le Revolution
Today was the last of my twelve days holiday from work. How very depressing. To cheer myself up, I went to see a nice film about the Nazis!
Sophie Scholl is the true story of the White Rose anti-Nazi group in Germany during Hitler's rule. In particular it's about a young brother and sister who gave out anti-Nazi leaflets at college and were subsequently sentenced to the death penalty.
Now, I'm all for a bit of zero tolerance, but even I think chopping off someone's head for distributing a few A4 sheets is a bit harsh.
The scripting, directorship and performance are superb. The only flaw is some slight sentimentality - Sophie's interrogator looking bashful and ashamed when she is sentenced for example - we will never know his true feelings, but it doesn't distract from the story.
It would appear the film had quite an effect on me. At my journalism course tonight we were asked to suggest topics for feature articles. I found words like "bring back the death penalty" and "public flogging" flying out of my mouths. Oops-a-daisy! The nervous, embarrassed laughter that followed made me think it didn't make me too many new friends. Oh well, I'm used to being mediocre on the popularity stakes.
Tomorrow I'm going to see my lovely Justin at his first night at Too 2 Much. I can't ruddy wait. Expect much gushing to follow ...

No comments:
Post a Comment