Monday, November 07, 2005

Gay Shopping Revolution?

London had its first (I think) gay shopping night last Friday.

"Ooh, where was it?" you squeal. "Harrods ... Selfridges ... Liberty?" Erm well, sadly, no - it was Superdrug. They are also soon to launch their own range of "his n his" and "hers n hers" gift sets to celebrate the legislation of same sex civil ceremonies. Now, however misguided, I appreciate their attempt at being gay friendly. But really, who wants their Christmas present to come from Superdrug? Surely the mark of a gift that says, "I'm cheap."

Still, it's led me to wonder - will this lead to a gay revolution on the high street? Will companies be vying for the pink pound now that we are, like, legal and all that?

Will Clinton be stocking Happy Civil Ceremony cards? Will travel agents be actively be promoting same sex "honeymoons"? Will you be able to register your Civil Ceremony present list at John Lewis? I'm genuinely curious to find out what will happen.

Hmm, I feel the need to research. I think I feel a feature article coming on ...

2 comments:

Gareth said...

Hasn't selfridges been doing gay nights for a few years now.

redhairedqueer said...

Oh, you mean their annual AIDS benefit night? I think you're right.