Friday, November 04, 2005

Justin Bond and the Freudian Slippers

If you haven't booked a ticket for Justin's fantastic new show at Too 2 Much yet, then what the hell are you waiting for? Book some now!!

Thursday's opening night was hilariously rambling and shambolic, exactly what I love best about his performances. He opened with a song I'd never heard before - turned out to be the new Kate Bush single, enjoyable without her screeching voice.

He apologised for not wearing stockings but said he was more comfortable with boxers on under his skirt. Then he sang us a song by Bambi Lake and I realised how much I'd been aching to hear this stuff again since the Soho Theatre shows earlier in the year. We also got to revisit his version of Benjamin's Clean White Bed and Joy Division's Heart and Soul.

He recently performed (I Don't Want to go to) Chelsea at an Elvis Costello tribute in NY. I was hoping that would be included but apparently he doesn't know the words. Instead we got a native African chant that was so fucking hilarious I couldn't actually breathe!

One of the bits that made me shiver was a short lullaby his mother used to sing him as a kid. I remember he once sang it right into my ear at the bar. I got all hot and trembly and hearing it again took me back to that moment of squirming with delight!

I would like to remember more from the dialogue but unfortunately was ever so slightly drunk. Just as well I'm going back 3 more times, by the end I'll at least have learned a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oi slag, am I going with you? I lost my diary and can't remember a fecking thing.