As Sweet as Candy
For the last few days I've been immersed in Sugar Rush, Julie Burchill's teenage, lesbian coming out story that was recently made into a TV series. I started off reading the book, then last night watched the entire 271 minutes of the series on DVD in one sitting. Well, you've got to do something when you're sitting in, sober, on a Saturday night.
The opening titles of the DVD almost put me off. I hate those oh-so modern montage clips with fast moving images, bright lights and thumping dance music, they make me feel queasy. Still, once that assault on the senses is over and the story begins, the dialogue and characters are very engaging.
Kim, the main character, is not having a very good time. First there's the break up of her parent's marriage - she walks in to find her mother at it, doggy style, with the painter and decorator. Then there's her younger brother's increasingly dysfunctional behaviour - he thinks he's an alien and paints himself, his room and his hamster bright blue. Then last, but not least, is the discovery that she is madly in love with her best friend, Sugar - Maria Sweet.
For once, the topic is handled well and not sensationalised. Finally, a mainstream lesbian production that doesn't have the feel of being made to titillate the boys.
Olivia Hallinan's portrayal of shy, awkward Kim is faultless and brings back all those vile feelings that make you so glad you're not a teenager anymore. Lenora Crichlow's Sugar is cute, sassy and just flirtatious enough for you to believe in her as an object of unrequited lust.
It doesn't quite live up to the standard of the book, there you get a deeper insight to the characters' lives and inner turmoil. Although we are saved the schmaltzy closing chapter where little Kimmy - having got the girl, lost the girl, then deciding she no longer wants the girl - is suddenly transformed from a self-concious teenager into a powerful straight talker, in control and knowing exactly what she wants. Sh'yeah, right.
Still, I have to remember that I am reading through cynical, 40 year old eyes. At 15 I would have found it uplifting and inspirational. It's easy to forget that the story is ostensibly aimed at teenagers, strange considering the TV series was broadcast way past most kiddies bedtimes and the DVD has an 18 certificate. So much for living in enlightened times.
GOSSIP CORNER - At the close of the book, with a predictable sting in the tail, we find that the always confident 15 year old Sugar, like so many promising teenagers before her, is now pushing a pram around the park. The father of her offspring is none other than Mark Wood - a name check to Readers Wifes' Chelsea Kelsey.
Honestly! You never know where that boy's going to spring up next! He tells me the original draft of the book was much ruder.

3 comments:
Could this also be the reason so many male G.A.Y.ers are so attached to the fairy tale (pun intended) that is BEAUTIFUL THING with it's dancing in the streets ending? There was a phase when couples would regularly appear in the shop asking for a poster no doubt for their new flat. I always took delight in telling them we didn't have it. Hopefully that was the first chip knocked off the veneer that would find them splitting up in anger and tears 3 months later. Better they find out about The Hard-Knock Life at an early age eh?
Sheash, you're such a bitter old cynic.
I knew I liked you.
I think I love LaChris for saying that!
I know that we have had this conversation already, but why was it put out after 11pm?? If it was at 9pm, after the watershed when all the kiddies are tucked up. You are quite right though, as a 15 year old lesbian, I would have also found this inspirational.
Post a Comment