Black Narcissus
Yesterday I went to see Black Narcissus at the NFT. I'd only heard about it from the lyrics of a Bambi Lake song and wasn't too sure I'd like it. Pleased to say, it was absolutely fantastic!
The film was made in 1947. It's about a group of nuns who try to establish a hospital and school in the Himalayas. There is some amazing gothic scenery and images, and the whole things is as camp as tits!
A lot of the straight women in the audience seemed to be impressed by Kanchi, the character played by Jean Simmons. She was very seductive and got all giddy whenever a man was in the room. Drippy cow. My favourite by far was Sister Ruth (Kathleen Byron), a nun who went barking mad and tried to kill the Sister Superior by pushing her off a bell tower. Sadly, God wasn't on her side and she ended up taking a tumble herself. Shame!
Following in the trend of our trip to the portrait gallery, Toby and I were going to re-enact this fantastic image of Sister Ruth when we got to the doorway of the Retro Bar. Sadly, the staff there poured us beer and our plan was soon forgotten.
Still, as there's not much to do on Sunday afternoon ... Can you believe I didn't even need make up for the eye bags - ha ha!
![]() | ![]() |



2 comments:
I'm still gonna do my tribute to sister ruth. I'm just wondering what I can use to darken my eyes a bit (I don't have any make up anymore).
An excellent filum, and I can see Toby in a wimple.
Post a Comment