Pop Life
Yesterday I went to see Iggy and the Stooges with the lovely Justin Bond. Posh Paul was supposed to be coming but the bastard stood me up. Ha ha ha, I don't care cos going with Justin was much nicer!
I when round to his flat first and Kenny was there rehearsing. I got a private audience of a few songs they were running through, then later Justin gave me a tour of his flat and then we went out for pizza.
We got to Hammersmith just in time. I haven't seen such an excited bunch of old giffers since the Sex Pistols played Crystal Palace. A skinny, troll-like Iggy bounced on stage, all pumping arm moves and body jerks, and launched straight into Down on the Street.
People were questioning whether he would still "have it" at the age of 60. Fuck, yeah! The entire Fun House album was fired out like a machine gun assault with barely a break between tracks.
The main set closed with Skull Ring. There wasn't time to wring the sweat from your t-shirt before they were back to play most of the debut Stooges album. A stage invasion was invited during Real Cool Time and No Fun. Needless to say, it was only a gathering of nippers that made it up there. The over 40s may still like to rock, but most of us are too lardy for that kind of caper.
After a second encore, the end was almost as brutal as the entrance. All air-punching, hair tossing and cocky swagger, then the next minute ... gone.

No comments:
Post a Comment