Saturday, March 25, 2006

Baby Animals

It's been an uncharacteristically quiet week round at Right Nasty Mansions. Still, there's plenty of partying ahead ...

Had a nice night out with Sammy Jo on Thursday, gossiping and catching up. Later we met up with Justin for pizza and he suddenly lurched into Kiki mode, telling a fantastic story about his white trash neighbours when he was a kid and their succession of family pets that all killed themselves. There was a cat who would lie in the road and beg to be run over, then two poodles that both threw themselves in front of traffic.

We're all excited about going to see Baby Dee at Bistrotheque in April. To be honest I knew nothing about her when Tall Paul suggested it, but by the time he'd added "New York drag queen" I'd already signed up. I was surprised when I went to the website to listen to some songs. I was expecting Jayne County-type trashy stuff, but what I heard immediately reminded me of Antony - who is apparently a big fan.

Sammy Jo told me he used to see Baby Dee riding around the east village on an old fashioned tricycle, carrying an accordion and with an enormous harp strapped to the back (see pic). She would stop in the street and play for a while, then get back on the trike and peddle off. I love that about New York, you don't see such wanton eccentricity in London.

2 comments:

Gareth said...

Of course you wouldn't see such eccentricity over here.
He'd have barely started playing the accordion when some ferral child would have nicked the trike.

Anonymous said...

Well some Flemmish bastard stole his harp.........


http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/2005/04/baby-dees-harp-stolen.html