Saturday, March 18, 2006

What Makes A Man?

I have become mildly fascinated by Buck Angel - transsexual porn star and self proclaimed "man with a pussy".

I first came across him on a poster for a club night in New York. There's a lot of dark gothic imagery and a picture of a tattooed muscle man holding an axe. I confess I did a double take when I noticed he had a vagina. His clitoris is engorged so it was hard to tell if he actually had a very tiny penis.

I set about a Google search and have since read a few interviews where Buck has some very interesting and intelligent things to say about transgenderism, gender identity and the short comings of gender realignment surgery - along with his career as an internet porn star.

Almost inevitably I found his site a bit of a disappointment. Most of the people who cough up dollars are just interested in the cock and fanny shots and not too bothered about the history and politics behind it.

Buck wants to make a statement on behalf of the F to M community, a group that otherwise tends to hide itself away. While he achieves this, it's done without presenting anything that would promote thought, debate or a better understanding. He's a witty guy with a lot to say and I'd love if he used a section of the site to air his experiences and views.

If you want a brief introduction, check out this clip from the Bizarre site - a homage to the Levi's jeans ads ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was an article in Saturdays Guardian about a woman who dressed as a man for a year, and wrote a book about it. I'll save it for you.