It's Great to be Straight
So Brokeback Mountain failed to clear up at the Oscars. It seems, as screenplayer writer Larry McMurtry suggests, "... Americans don't want cowboys to be gay."
The heteros don't like it when gays invade their territory. Look at the bastion of homophobia in this country - football. Refuge of macho men everywhere, they don't want to discover their best striker's a poofter - what would the lads say?
Footballers, cowboys, superheroes ... they're the fuel of boy child fantasies, and suddenly it's all being turned on its head. Men just aren't allowed to be MEN anymore.
I tremble as I write this, but maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. It's possible the straight acting gays are the most subversive of all. As Boy George once quipped, "straight acting, non seen" - but what's scarier than an invisible enemy? You don't know who you can trust. If it's all screaming pansies and big fat dykes, well, at least you know where you are.
I'm sticking to my guns, though - vive le ghetto! But let's ditch Gay Pride and have Assimilation Day - that'll spook the buggers.

1 comment:
"Refuge of macho men everywhere, they don't want to discover their best striker's a poofter - what would the lads say?"
Now, I'm not one to normally type serious comments on here but I'd actually disagree with this.
I'm on a few football boards and there were rumours doing the rounds about one of our players for quite a while and in fact no-one really cared - the reaction was, as long as he scores/plays well - he can do what he wants.
In my eyes it's almost like going back to the playground where the term gay/gaylord/bummer was the most common term of abuse without people really thinking about what it meant.
I'm not denying there's a homophobic element, but I don't think it's as big as might be perceived from outside.
G.
Post a Comment