Glitter in their Eyes
Had a welcome androgny fix watching the BBC's Kings of Glam last night. Men should be made to wear boas and make up - there'd be a lot less trouble in the world, in my opinion.
First we had Marc Bolan looking resplendent in pink feathers. They spoke to his lovely son Rolan who Chris and I once met at the Retro. He was incredibly beautiful and invited us to his birthday party. When the day came he had completely forgotten us, but we continued to adore him anyway.
One of the show's highlights was a young and geeky Bowie. He was on TV protesting about abuse of long haired men. An encounter with Lindsay Kemp and a trip to Warhol's Pork cured him of geekness. The rest, as they say, is history. Hooray!
My all time glam faves are Roxy Music. I'm planning a mini revival. Bryan Ferry in a sparkling green catsuit with matching eye glitter is a sight to behold. I love that inflection in his voice, he makes everything sound a bit dirty. I think I'd quite like to be him in a different world.
At the end of the show there were brief clips of Sweet and Gary Glitter. They were basically tutting them for jumping on the band wagon and being a bit rubbish. Talk about kicking a man when he's down! Poor old Gary, he's just a sad old perv - he can't help it!
As for the Sweet, I love a bit of Wig Wam Bam! I was happy as Larry with the teeny shot of the fabulous Steve Priest. I've loved him since I was about 6, proving I was born a tranny hopper!
Next week it's Queens of Disco - can't wait!

5 comments:
Oh yes, 'twas a truly fab hour indeed. Wonder if the 10.35pm slot on a Friday night is a suggestion that anyone interested enough to watch it will be boring enough/old enough to be in on a Friday night?
Steve Priest now lives in America somwehere or other (let me know if you'd like to borrow the Sweet DVD that tells their story). Andy Scott on the other hand (the other Sweet who's still alive) has just co-produced Suzi Quatro's new album, co-writes most of the songs, sings on it and plays guitar. Sweet were always such a great Glam band - make-up and glitter with the manners of truckers! Brian Connelly had a great voice, one of the great rock voices that is always overlooked for some reason.
Those Glam Kings and Queens - how dare you not mention Suzi? - just won't go away quietly! And why no mention of Noddy Holder, the Lord of Noize Himself?
Bryan Ferry was from Jarrow or somewhere like that ... not even a proper Geordie...
You'd already covered Noddy and Suzi- given that we share the same audience it didn't seem worth repeating!
I think you would like my page
www.myspace.com/madelinex1
I thought Id just let you know that Steve Priest is not gay!
Er, yeah, thanks Daniel ... I never said he was (!?)
Post a Comment