Call Waiting
I saw something in Time Out the other day about a mobile phone exhibition at the Science Museum displaying all the latest technology. Hoorah, I thought. It's not that I'm fed up with my rinky dink pink RAZR, but it's nice to know what you'll be wasting money on in the future.
I was crushed, therefore, to discover that it's not a technology show at all - it's a yawnarama ticking off session telling us mobiles are BAD. If you must have one you're supposed to make it last FOREVER and not ditch it when a prettier one comes along. BORING! Apparently they contain toxic metals and are destroying the planet or something. Tut. There's always someone wants to spoil your fun because you've got a nice toy.
Can you imagine being without your mobile? It's become an essential commodity - like lipstick. I remember hating them when they first came out and thinking they were stupid (because I didn't have many friends and knew it would never ring - a bit like the geeks at the Science Museum!) Now I never leave home without it.
Upgrades are important - you have to keep up with the trends. You need flashy lights and mega pixel cameras, otherwise it's, like, LOSER!
Without a mobile, how are you supposed to keep up with people's shopping trips, what's on telly and who's down the pub? I mean, how did we arrange social events in the past? No wonder I had no friends, I never knew where anyone was going!
So sod the landfill and the ozone, I'm sure it's a lot of fuss about nothing. I'm off to download a new ringtone. L8r X

3 comments:
I'm in total agreement, I went without one for years, based on the argument that only rent boys, drug dealers or drug adicts needed one. Now I feel naked without one and wonder whose call I'm missing if I leave it at home.
So which are you Gareth: drug dealer, drug addict or rent boy?
My best thing about mobiles is watching the TV and texting friends. I did this with your good self throughout the last few series of Big Brother, and it makes telivision much more fun!
Post a Comment